Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lug Nut
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a few cart rides, I've noticed some oil gathering at the back of the intake manifold (Victor Jr. on a FMS 302 crate/345 hp, Mass-Flo EFI, QR Autocrossing pan). Doesn't happen if I just let it idle there, but when I drive it around, it doesn't take much effort to get 1 tbsp or so of oil collected there and spilling down the back side and dripping down the bellhousing.

I guess I need to take off the intake, clean it all up, and put it back together with a new gasket?

Any hints so that I do a better job assembling it this time than I did last time?

I remember reading somewhere that the rear can be a bit tough to get a good seal on, so I remember being extra careful on that part. I guess not careful enough!

Thanks for any tips,
--Eric

·
1,595 Posts
Don't use the front and rear gaskets. Run a 3/16 to 1/4 in. line of RTV there instead. Let it skin over for a few minutes and put the manifold on.

Bill G

·
Registered
462 Posts
just like Bill said, big ole honkin' bead of silicone. clean surfaces with brake cleaner first. use black silicone and wipe excess of with your finger once the manifold is on. good luck!

·
Junior Charter Member
55 Posts
had a leak even with that big bead of silicone. i have taken my intake to the drill press put small dimples in the end rails every 1.5" front and rear the cork will not move if it can get pushed into those dimples. i also use silicone on the coners and a thin bead on top of the end seals. this works. and you wont push a gloob of silicone into yor lifter area !

paul

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Have always used a bead or silicone instead of the cork or rubber gasket on the front and reqar of intakes. Over time the gasket gets hard and leaks where silicone won't. Also get the Ultra Blue silicone from permatex. It swells a small amount once it comes in contact with oil. Once you have the new gaskets glued to the heads,use a guide pin made from cutting the head off 4 5/16" bolts so they can be screwed temporay into the ends on each head. This help guide the intake on the motor with less chance of damaging the gaskets.Remove and replace with the manifold bolts once intake is on. Allow silicone to skin over for about 20 minutes before install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts