Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking my car for a test drive after I installed my blower, I notice about a quart of oil on the floor of the garage after being parked for about 10 minutes. There was so much oil, that it ran down both 3 inch tubular frame rails all the way to the back of the car. My first thought was that it was the rear main seal. After crying in a towel for an hour, I called Mr. Potato Head for ideas. Neither of us could come up with the source, but did come up with a few ideas of where it is coming from.

1. Rear Main Seal
2. Pan Gasket Blow Out

Since I dont know a whole lot about engines, I dont know how a rear main seal works, or its purpose. So here is where I turn to you for help. The majority of the oil seemed to be on the back of the bellhousing, where the starter bolts to the metal plate, and the oil pan butts up against bellhousing. Larry seemed to think that the amount of oil points to somthing different than the main seal, but neither of us could count that out. There was no oil in front of the engine mounts forward and none from the top of the engine down to the bottom. The drain plugs were both tight and were not leaking. What would cause such a high volume of oil to leak in such a small amount of time? Anybody have any thoughts?

[ August 02, 2002, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Fang Bit ]

·
Charter Member
423 Posts
How 'bout the "low oil" sensor in the side of the pan. Do you have the pressure sending unit in the side of the block tight as well? You may have one of the British built 5.0's, in which case only a quart is a small amount :D

Ron

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Tell us more about the new blower install. Does the blower you installed require an oil feed? If so did you install the blower oil return line?

Maybe you damaged an external componenet such as oil pressure sender or sender adaptor during the install. Maybe the remote oil filter adaptor and or fittings have cracked. If rubber, how old are the oil lines? Put it on stands and clean up the mess. You should be able to see something while wiping the underside down. Probably not a seal.

Good luck

·
Registered
475 Posts
Make sure you disconnected the hose that is used vent the engine. The hose ran from the throttle body,I believe to the valve cover. It is used to pull fumes from the engine. With a blower its now pressurizing your engine. Paxton supplied rubber plugs to cover up the nipples and remove the hose. If you preasurize an engine it force oil out of every seal.

hope this is your problem a real cheap easy fix

Lloyd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blower does require an oil feed and a return line. Both were checked and were in proper working order. There was no oil around the pressure gauge or the tap in the oil pan. The low oil sensor was OK as well. The oil is definately leaking from the bottom of the engine. At least from the pan down. The rest of the enginge is clean.

Lloyd, I followed the Vortech install manual and nowhere did it say to vent the crankcase. However, this is one of the things that came up in the conversation with Larry. It makes sense, but I would think that Vortech would have made note about this. What should I look for? If I fix it, should I replace the pan gasket?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fang

Look on the side of the throttle body. The throttle body is the thing with the flap on the inside with the throttle cable connected to it.
there is a nipple on the side with a rubber hose connected to it. remove the hose and plug the nipple.

Lloyd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the Million Dollar Winner is........LloydGT40!

After reading Lloyds post and touching on that last night with Larry, it seems to make sense. So with little hesitaion I called Vortech's tech support line. Guess what he said! I need to vent the crankcase like Lloyd said. He said it was in the manual.....Um....WRONG ANSWER! I re-read the entire manual before calling them just to make sure that I wasnt missing anything. I told him it was definately 100% not in the manual and they might want to take a look at it before other people have the same problem. He confirmed it with a big WOOPS!

OK, easy fix, but now what have I ruined in my engine? Do I need to replace anything? Or, do I just make the additional mods and see if that solves the problem?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
458 Posts
Hey Fang Bit,

Hold it! Wait a minute! That's the same info I told you last night...I want a million $ too!..

You might get lucky Fang...Could be that gasket at the rear of the pan. Gimme a call.

"Mr. P..."

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry,
I'll tell you what....Instead of giving you a Million Dollars, how about I drop the 100 Mile rule down to 50 miles? That's worth about Two Million! I'll give you a call later to discuss what I should do. Do you think I should go get a pan gasket? Also, I still need to tighten the alternator a little more, so I might still need your help.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
it can be really hard to tell where the oil comes from and easy to decide and be wrong, at least for me.

i did my pan gasket some time back. lotsa little bolts.

-james

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fang

Cash will be fine. Glad to help. I don't think you harmed anything. Fix the problem clean the bottom and look for leaks. Castrol cleaner works really great for cleaning this kind of stuff up. I had a power steering hose break what a mess. Napa guy said to use castrol cleaner just don't do it with out a lot of air circulation. tough on the lungs

LLoyd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
458 Posts
Fang

It's a deal. The 100 mile rule is unofficially down to 50. I think we need a road test.

"Mr. P....."

·
Senior Charter Member
517 Posts
The blower pressurizing the crankcase was forcing oil past the rear main seal.
Now that you have removed the crankcse pressure your seal should be fine.
A clogged PCV will cause the same thing.
Buzz

·
Senior Charter Member
1,380 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me last year. Your pressurizing the crankcase. And in my case it was actually blowing oil back out the dipstick hole, seriously. I was lucky, too much pressure and you blow the rear seals.

Here's what I did, some will agree, others won't. On the oil filler cap, the line that goes to the throttle body, route it to the inlet side of your blower.

Fix worked for me. I only did this after trying a breather and everything else before having to resort to this. Been fine since then.

Ok, now I got a weird problem recently, see post 'powerdyne and hood'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.