Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling the tranny to install clutch alignment pins I may have left off the flywheel (thanks forum members for the heads-up), and will try to figure out what's leaking oil back there while I'm at it. I have some oil dripping from the rear of the engine, but can't tell from underneath if it's from the oil pan gasket, the rear mainseal, or something else. It's definitely oil, not some other fluid. Is there a way to diagnose the source before tearing into this thing? Gotta buy the parts I need before I start. Thanks as always for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
It's also common for the end gaskets on the intake to leak and run down the back of the block, making you think it's a pan or rear main seal leak. Same for the valve-covers. A flashlight and a mirror will help find it, but sometimes they're pretty hard to see. Also check to make sure your PCV valve is seated properly. If it's a rear main leak, you should be able to confirm it for sure once you pull the flywheel.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
The oil level sensor is also notorious for creating a very hard to find leak. Only took me 2 years to find that on my car.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I've heard of others that have steam cleaned their engines and then poured in this mystery stuff in with the oil that could be seen with a black light. I've never used it, but is available at auto stores.

·
Premium Member
18,086 Posts
Fortuantly, a properly installed rear main seal rarely fails. I've never had one leak. Never.

So first, I would look at the places that Fords are famous for leaking oil from. As stated, look at intake and valve cover seals. But, it has been my disfortune to have leaks at the oil pressure sender. Especially if you use the stock aluminum sender extender. This leak usually runs rearward along the pan rail, and drips off the bottom of the bell housing.

Clean the engine really well. Then run it for a short while. Just enough to get the leak started, but not enough for it to drip. Once it cools a bit, blow a little corn starch around suspected areas. The corn starch will stick to the wet oil and pinpoint the leak.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Rear main leak into the bell housing...Other are external..
Start from the top (Intake,valve cover) and work you way down.

Phil

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll work on the assumption it's something OTHER than the rear main until I eliminate all the easier stuff. I am using the stock oil pressure extender; I painted my block black, making it almost impossible to see an oil track...I will clean and check ASAP. Thanks again.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
John, I'm very curious to see the outcome of this.

I installed all new gaskets including rear seal and pinion seal and even before start up I noticed (on the ground) a tiny puddle of oil :mad: . I painted my engine silver so I'd be able to see leaks but since the oil is virgin in this case its tough to see the clear stuff. I did however find the leak was coming from the engine side of the bell housing as opposed to the tranny side. John H. and I want to believe (me more than him) it's the oil pan gasket and not the new rear seal. Please keep us up to date.

Take care,

·
5,042 Posts
Originally posted by John Phillips:
I painted my block black, making it almost impossible to see an oil track....
John, try using talcum powder on the block then blowing it off with an air hose. Accumulated oil will be left in stark contrast.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
John and Dan:

Dye-Lite Flourescent Leak Detection System

Tracer Products
A Division of Spectronics Corporation
956 Brushy Hollow Road
P.O. Box 483
Westbury, NY 11590
Toll-free: 800-641-1133
Phone: 516-333-1254
Fax: 516-876-8411
Web site: www.tracerline.com
E-mail: [email protected]

...and this place has a number of options:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW436.html

Of course you can't use the leftover products to make your Christmas gravy like you can with the cornstarch method!

_

[ December 13, 2002, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: John Hannaford ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Originally posted by John Hannaford:
Of course you can't use the leftover products to make your Christmas gravy like you can with the cornstarch method!
_
ROTFLMAO :D Can't come out of the garage smelling like a rose either like you can with the talcum powder

Any sources for that stuff up here in the GWN? Crappy Tire?

Take care,

·
Registered
541 Posts
sometimes oil will roll along the rim of the oil pan and drip down the low spot on the back of the pan and look like it is coming from the area of rear main seal, it will run down the bellhousing cover.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Dan,

No luck with the CTC folks here. NAPA guy says he can get it. I borrowed a kit from one of the regional racers when I used it.

John

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i saw that black light oil kit sitting in some store i went into, pep boys maybe? it was cheap. if i see it john ill let you know.

-james

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Thanks John I'll have to pay the UAP guys here in Etobicoke a visit. I'm still hoping -ok praying- it's a pan leak.

John Phillips, any news yet on your leak? Your other thread about them alignment dowels has got me second guessing, I'm just not 100% on whether they were installed or not. I hope I can see them through the clutch fork opening.

Take care,

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still crawling around underneath looking at everything that could leak oil, the ideas here have been a great help. My main suspect so far is the oil pressure sender, I tightened it further into the stock pressure sender pipe that sticks out of the block. the bellhousing has a lot of oil inside, so I think I gotta be ready to replace the rear main seal when I do the clutch pins.

Dan, the clutch alignment pins MIGHT be visible through the clutch fork hole if you have someone bump the starter for you...I tried to see but couldn't, and wasn't comfortable laying under there while Lynn hit the starter, so just decided to pull the tranny. You CAN see em missing plain as day as soon as you shine a flashlight down the bellhousing hole the tranny bolts to. A sad sight, but fixable.

Hope not to need any sophisticated leak detection. I crawled all under with a shop light tracing oil dampness and debris, then cleaned everything good with degreaser, wiped it all down, and am ready to run the engine a bit to see if anything drips again. Thanks again for the ideas.

·
Charter Member
79 Posts
I forgot to put sealant on the flywheel mounting bolts once. That may be another source of your leak.

I agree with these other guys though. If the engine has not been messed with, it is coming from the valve covers or lower intake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts