Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you had a leak from the rear of a Canton oil pan for a 351W. I have had several fist size leaks from the rear of the engine and the pan has a 3/16" - 1/4" gap between the pan and the bearing cap at the bottom of the bearing. It seems large considering that the gap is not consistent all around the radius of the cap.

I've ready dropped the motor back in and the only oil I found on the back of the motor was in that gap around the rubber gasket that was used.

Should I beat the pan with BFH or should I buy another Canton pan hoping that it was stamped with the correct radius?

Advise please - Jimmy

·
Premium Member
9,690 Posts
Don't beat it with a BFH, if you do, you own it and have a zero chance of returning it. Canton uses OEM oil pans as a core, (the pan rails, etc), to construct their pans, and if yours has that much of a gap with the gasket installed, there is a problem with the pan. Send it back, preferably with photos of the gap. John

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
Actually, Canton uses a imported pan as a base and it isnt stamped right around the rear. I have the same problem, only I found out about it after I owned the pan(never installed it) for over a year and couldnt return it. Canton knows they have a problem and doesnt seem to care. I would return it and get one from Gorden Levy. Dan

P.S. Canton told me to "Fit as needed with a BFH" and it still leaks.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
They have had problems with other model pans too. I've seen several of the FE road race pans that have leaked either at the pan rail or a seam. As far as I know they will replace the pan.

Armondo makes a really nice oilpan too! SBF road race pans are $359 and up. I have one for the FE series.

G.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to try one more thing before I go the route of buying aother pan. This pan got slightly damaged from the crating process and it's been almost a year.

Read on one of the 4x4 sites that did a 351 build and the siliconed the end rubbers seals. It this works I will live with the pan.

thanks for all the info. - Jimmy

·
3,701 Posts
I also had a problem with a Canton pan for my 351 - it wouldn't fit right at the rear and look how they welded the pickup tube - this is where it bolts to the oil pump

I sent it back and got the one that Gordon sells - which I am very happy with.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow. These problems are news to me. Mine fit perfectly and I know of several other Cobras using Canton pans with no problems. Hopefully this was an isolated problem.

·
Junior Charter Member
280 Posts
I used a Canton Road Racing pan on my 351W and have had absolutely no oil leaks at all in more than two years of service. I carefully followed a set of installation instructions provided to me by a race engine builder I know. He had said that his installation procedure usually guaranteed a leakfree installation and I can swear by that. I am posting a link to Page 5 of my Cobra Build Page that contains the full installation instructions. Page 5 Latest Modifications I hope this helps although there should never be a 1/4" end seal gap with the gasket installed.

·
Premium Member
17,855 Posts
I had a canton road race pan. POS. I had to make a number of mods to get it to fit correctly. I also had to modify the pick up for proper clearance. No matter how much I tried, I could never get the pan so seal correctly. I think I replaced the pan gasket about 6 times.

After finally getting a decent seal, there's was a persistant drip from the bottom of the pan, even when the car sat for a week without running. I used a tracer dye, and discovered it was seeping through the bottom weld of the pan.

Last week I dumped the Canton pan, and used one from Quality roadsters. No leaks first time. The pick up fit perfectly with no mods.

I only have two complaints about this pan. It's a rear sump, and it hangs down about 1/4" below the frame rails. Second, the drain port is on the front of the sump. To drain all of the oil you have to jack up the rear of the car. Otherwise it leaves about 1/2 qt in the rear of the pan.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I just started my engine last night for a few minutes.
Today I drove it out to the driveway to put in coolant( distilled water for now),ran it for about 30 minutes and I noticed an oil leak in the front of the oil pan (Canton rear sump) behind the damper. Wednesday I'll drive it up on ramps to see what the problem is.
When I installed the pan I took extreme care to be sure all the installation procedures,tightening sequence,everything was by the book, and still we have a leak.
I hope it's just the seal because the engine is 3 years old and never run until now,it should seal up on it's own.
Paul M.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by boB:

Last week I dumped the Canton pan, and used one from Quality roadsters. No leaks first time. The pick up fit perfectly with no mods.
The quality roadsters pan (now sold by breeze) is made by Canton. Obviously Bob is referring to another canton pan that leaked. I use the QR/Breeze pans and so far they have fit really nice. Keep in mind here guys, many people complain about a pan leak, and later find it's the rear of the intake, rear main seal, or other places. The oil always finds the lowest place to drip from (obviously). -dan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to update ya'll I got the pan off and found a one piece gasket on the pan. While this doesn't address the gap at the back of the pan it does go against the recommendation of Canton. DSS racing was kind enough to pack a gasket kit with the motor that was dropped off at my house. Literally dropped, but that another story. I took the old gasket out. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner. use RTV to stick the cork gasket to the block as well as the end rubber seals. Plastered the dimples on the pan rails with RTV so they are leveled out...psuhe it up... put the bolts in and after six 10 minutes cycles of the motor it no longer leaks.

Now all I have to do is figure out what CODE 54 really means and if changing out the ACT alone will fix the check engine light and get rid of the rough idling motor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by FordManDan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by boB:

The quality roadsters pan (now sold by breeze) is made by Canton. Obviously Bob is referring to another canton pan that leaked. I use the QR/Breeze pans and so far they have fit really nice. Keep in mind here guys, many people complain about a pan leak, and later find it's the rear of the intake, rear main seal, or other places. The oil always finds the lowest place to drip from (obviously). -dan </font>[/QUOTE]You are sooooo correct. I'd bet most pan leaks are really intake manifold leaks. The pan on the Breeze web site even has a Canton sticker. :D

·
6,559 Posts
I can't believe all this trashing of Canton pans. Mine has worked flawlessly for many years.

Reactions: Alan_C and SveltGt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap. I am finding this after 13 years and having the leaking issue again. The potted plant is a great idea!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts