Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
new
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me an easy way to determine if the oil galley plugs on a 351W are leaking?

Thanks, Norm

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
X-ray vision?

If the block is assembled and has been running there's little way to tell. You'll have to remove the intake for the rear plug and the timing cover for the frony plugs and then probably pressure test the passages.

Most engine builders and aftermarket blocks come with screw in galley plugs for just this reason. Can you tell us why you think you have a leak there?

HTH...
Mark

·
new
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ther's an oil leak and it
s proving difficult to find the source. the oil pressure is fine. the leak shows up behind the oil pan where a rear main seal could be suspect but I find oil up higher near a header bolt. valve cover and intake gaskets seem dry. oil galley was something I knew little of so that's why I was aksing. tks, Norm

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Could be rear intake gasket. Did you (or the builder) use the cork gasket or a bead of silicone? Sometimes the gasket isn't thick enough (due to head and or intake machining) or the gasket gets bumped during intake install (I always use old intake bolts with the heads cut off as installation guide studs)...

The rear galley plug is at the rear of the intake (under it) and if it is not staked in place (for the press in stock style) it can leak and overcome the gasket seal or push it out, but usually if it is that much of a leak you'd see a problem with oil pressure.

I'm betting intake manifold. If the valve covers look dry there's nothing else back there (oil lines, fittings, etc.) to leak oil around the block to the bottom, unless it IS the rear main seal!

Clean everything with brake cleaner and then run the engine and see if you can see a fresh trail of oil. You might also look at an oil leak dye kit too to help with the diagnosis.

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
"Most" times a rear main seal will leave a drop or two under the car where the engine tranny meet. Oil up higher or on back of engine,agree intake or valve cover. Valve cover gaskets deopending on gasket material can get hard and leak due to the increased heat of the headers. sometimes they become loose and will seal up with a little turn of the bolts.
Are you carb'ed? Running a pvc set up?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
I have this same problem, even with my new crate motor. A few drops when I shut down, and when I start, it "sprays" under the car, like it was collecting on the back of the flywheel.

I will get a dye kit soon as I can secure a lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts