Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions what type of oil I should use for my PowerStroke 7.5L? It's time to do an oil change.

·
2,332 Posts
Check your owners manual for the proper viscocity. As for a brands, I have seen a lot of diesel guys use Rotella T. You can find it at AutoZone in 1 gallon jugs. Hope that helps.

-SGC

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
Have you thought of using a good synthetic like Amzoil or Redline? Change it once a year and be done with it.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
Rotella T 15w-40 High Detergent Heavy Duty Engine Oil with advanced Soot Control..... Reading it Right off the bottle....Great stuff....2 oil changes & the inside of the motor will look like it's chrome plated.... Pat

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by Dago:
Have you thought of using a good synthetic like Amzoil or Redline? Change it once a year and be done with it.
That's a truly scary thought, especially in a diesel. The oil doesn't turn black because it's breaking down, it turns black because of contaminants from blowby and moisture. I would run from a used vehicle if I knew that was the oil change procedure used.

Synthetics will not break down and form sludge as easily as mineral oil, but are subject to contaminants just the same. They are fantastic for high temperature stability.

That said, Rotella (as Pat V described) is a solid choice.

·
15,282 Posts
I am inclined to agree with JasonD on this one. I don't know much about diesels, but have several cars designed to work with synthetic motor oils. ALL of them have different oil filtration systems than a conventional car -- having two (specialized) oil filters is usually just the start. In something like a Porsche, you're also operating with a dry sump.

Synthetic oil is fine in a "regular" engine, but just putting in synthetic doesn't necessarily mean that your old Ford Festiva only needs an oil change as often as a new BMW. Oil is an area where I believe in sticking with what the manufacturer recommends, and if anything shortening the intervals between changes. It's cheap preventive maintenance.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops. 7.3L, you're right. My brain's working on half-binary today.

I went with the Cheveron Delo 15w-40. Thanks, guys.

Once a year oil changes - uh, no. I think I'll stick to every 5k - 7k miles, as suggested. Cost me $53 in oil/filter! Ooooucchhhh. O'well, the price I must pay for having too much torque

·
15,282 Posts
Yeah, but it's still super-cheap preventive maintenance. On my old 993GT3, I carried 13 quarts at $5 apiece, plus two specialized oil filters. $100+ just in materials, and you didn't want to do the labor yourself unless you had half a day to get to that second oil filter...

BUT, consider the cost of never paying attention to your oil. Doh. Good work protecting your truck.

Cheers, John

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
Costco carries the Chevron Delo for about 37-38 dollars, and Autozone carries the filter for 10. The box of oil has 6 gallons, but you only use 3.75. A friend who drives diesel trucks for a living, and owns a PS F350, swears by the Delo.

Dave

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, working backwards . . .

$52 - $8 gallon x 4 gallons = $20

$20 - tax ≈ $15

I guess my oil filter was around $15 at Napa. Costco is definately cheaper on the oil. Thanks, I'll check 'em out next in about 6,000 miles.

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
When you get really good at those oil changes, get Chevron by the barrel. All of the trucks at our shop use Delo 400, except one. The odd one uses Royal Purple. (some folks just want to be different)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't do the oil changes. I trade computer work for oil changes at an auto repair shop owned by my uncle. I just buy the stuff, his tire kid does the changes.

·
Junior Charter Member
422 Posts
Rotella-T is the stuff I've been running for almost 5 years, no problems. With a WIX (NAPA Gold), or Motorcraft filter..... absolutely NO FRAM filters!!!!!! -wingunt13

·
Charter Member
768 Posts
There's absolutely nothing you can do for a diesel that is better for it than frequent oil changes to get the diluted oil out of it. When the crankcase oil turns black, it is from soot and unburned fuel. We've analyzed thousands of samples at various intervals and have pretty well standardized on oil and filter changes every 5,000 miles for the OTR trucks and every 2,500 miles for the city trucks.
Wix probably makes the finest filters we've ever cut open. Fram has gotten better in the last couple of years. AC and Purolator filters are probably a cut above Fram. The crappiest filters are Pennzoil and Valvoline brand filters. Some we cut apart weren't even bonded in the end caps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts