Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens if the oil hooses to the oil filter relocator is switched?:confused1:
What I mean is that the hoose where the oil comes out is NOT connected to the oil filter side where the oil is supposed to come in.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Bad news. The filter would be flowing in reverse which due to the built in check valve would cause a restriction in flow. This may not show up as a loss in pressure depending where the pressure sensor is located in the system. You may not be aware of the problem until after the bearings are whipped. Better fix it ASAP. I would not run the engine at all before you correct this.
Wayne

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for your reply. It's clear.
The oil temperature was getting too high. Now I know the problem.
I will fix it immediately.
thanks!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,470 Posts
Oil goes into the filter through the outside small holes and goes back to the engine through the middle big hole.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
This has happened a few times over the years. As he said, the problem is with the anti-drain back valve inside the oil filter. During idle and low rpm's, the oil pressure will be fairly normal, maybe a little on the low side. As the rpm's climb, the oil pressure drops.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am installing my oil relocator now, so I want to just double check...
The tube from the outer small holes of the block attaches to the outer fitting of the relocator. The large center fitting of the relocator then attaches to the center fitting at the block?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the hoses. It looks like they where wrongly connected.
To be 100% sure.
The mark "out" on the engine side of the oil filter relocator unit is the part where the oil comes out of the engine side of the oil filter relocator unit. Correct?
This should be attached to the "in" mark of the oil filter. Correct?

After switching the hoses I did a test drive. The water temp was at 180 and the oil temperature between 150 and 180. This is normal again. Before this change, the oil temperature before went up to 210.

So far so good.... but ......

The oil pressure is almost zero. The meter barely moves. It reads something like 10. This is way lower and causing me great concern. Is anything brooken? I checked the amount of oil, that is normal. I checked if one of the hooses came off, no.
I am very worried and stopped driving immediately.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
Tale a look at the block adapter and the filter mount. One port goes to the center, and one port goes to the outside. Connect center to center, and outside to outside.

No oil pressure is a bad thing. But if it's almost zero and you drove it around long enough to get the oil temp up, it's probably a bad gauge. Get a cheap mechanical gauge from WallyWorld, and plug that in. It may not be incredibly accurate, but you find out if your gauge is bad.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,259 Posts
When I had my hoses reversed (during the initial pre-oiling) I had zero oil pressure and the electric drill that was spinning the oil pump stalled.Reversed the hoses and all was well.
Good luck Cees.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
If you reversed your lines and they are now correct you may want to relpace the filter just in case you damaged the drain back check valve. As for no pressure...hook up a known good mech gauge before doing another run. Pull the dist and do a priming to see what the oil pressure is. If the pressure comes up then you may have a bad gauge/sending unit. If the pressure is down then you will have to dig deeper. I'm hoping it's a loose sending unit wire!!!

Wayne

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your answers.
Never new there was a valve in an oil filter.

No there are no Wally Worlds here or WallMarts.

I'm hoping it's a loose sending unit wire!!!
I am afraid not because there is some movement of the oil pressue gauge when the engine is running.
But if it's almost zero and you drove it around long enough to get the oil temp up, it's probably a bad gauge. Get a cheap mechanical gauge ...
Yes the oil temperature got up to 150 F. I drove about 2 miles. I will follow up on the idea of checking the gauge.

Tale a look at the block adapter and the filter mount. One port goes to the center, and one port goes to the outside. Connect center to center, and outside to outside.
I have shorty header. That's why it is so difficult to see the arrow in and out. I am afraid I have to disassemble the cats and the shorty header in order to check center to center.
Therefor my questions are:
The mark "out" on the engine side of the oil filter relocator unit is the part where the oil comes out of the engine side of the oil filter relocator unit. Correct?
This should be attached to the "in" mark of the oil filter. Correct?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is an update.
Problem solved!
The oil hooses were incorrectly connected.
When I switch them, there was oil pressure again and the engine was running fine again.
I am still confused about the marks on the oil filter relocator. Please note that I replaced only the oil filter side of the relocator. Anyway, the best tip I can pass on is the one from Seagull81. The center hole must connect to the center hole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts