Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm building a MK 3 FF with a 347 stroker, edelbrock heads, manifold,plenum,Tremec, 8.8, 3.73 rear end etc, etc. and think that I should be installing an oil cooler. I'm looking for the best system at a resonable price

·
Charter Member
203 Posts
You will probally not need a oil coller unless you are planning to race on a regular basis.I have the same engine, tranny and gear as you have. Although I chose to put one on mine too but I chose to run a dummy mainly for the looks and capped my lines off just in case of future purposes. I think it come from Tri States just get a delivery date when you order! Under normal to agressive driving on the street and pushing the limits of the law you will not need an operating oil cooler. If you choose to run one make sure you put a quality oil thermostat on your car. Otherwise your oil will stay too cool for proper lubercating properties on the average

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
If you plan on any open track time, an oil cooler would be a good idea. You'll be pushing the car hard for 15-20 minutes at a time. Even with a cooler, mine can get up to 210-220*. For drag racing and autocross, you probably won't need it either. You'll only be pushing it for seconds at a time. If it's strictly a fun street car, you won't need it.

The down side of a cooler is weight, cost, and complexity. More places for a leak. More parts to fail.

For a cooler, get an Earls cooler with -10 fittings. -8 is too small. -12 won't make any improvement, the lines are difficult to run, and will be a lot more expensive. Call Mike Forte for the cooler.

Oil has an operating range. 180* is generally accepted as minimum. You'll definatly want to run a thermostat. Earls makes a very nice billit sandwich type, and a billit in line type. Summit sells them both.

If you're using 4x4 headers, you can install a sandwich adapter and the filter in the stock location. Otherwise, you'll need the remote filter set up. I strongly suggest billit parts by Canton over the cast parts supplied with the kit.

IMO, all external oil lines should be AN hose and fittings, nothing less. Braided is nice, but press on is cheaper, lighter, and easier to work with. Just be sure to protect it from abrasion where needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts