Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am trying to do a reasonably accurate replica of the 1967 Cobra S/C CSX3042, with the exception that I'll go with chrome rollbars and exhaust instead of blacked out. CSX3042 had an oil cooler and I like the look anyway. However, I live in Canada and do plan to ride in very cool weather (I ride my motorcycle until there's snow/salt on the road). As such, I don't want to cool the oil unreasonably, especially since this will be mainly a street driver.

This is what the Breeze's website says:
Oil is not sent through the cooler unless and until it reaches 180 degrees. This means your engine gains extra cooling capacity for those hot summer afternoons or at the track or autocross, and you can still drive those short jaunts, in cooler weather, or at night without over-cooling your oil
Will that be enough for me? Keep in mind that I am mostly only doing it for cosmetic reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I just cover mine with duct tape in the colder months. Scott

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had coolers on my previous Superformance cars. 427 & 421 Windsors. Lots of miles, 4F to 104F, lots of track time at 6,500rpm+.
Unless you're running road tracks or hard in ambient temps of 90F or more I wouldn't suspect that you'll need a cooler.
Many of the thermostats don't flow that well and act as a restrictor to the flow.
I'd build the cooler in and run lines for the "look" but not connect it until you realize that you need it. Watch your oil temp gauge, if you regularly see over 230-240F then the cooler will be beneficial, synthetic oil assumed.
Cold oil is bad, hot is too, but it takes more work to get there.
Jim.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose one option is to fake it - but I don't feel good about it.

1) I could get this aluminum panel to clean up the radiator area:

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

2. I could attach the hose to these and attack the braided hose to them that go nowhere

Peripheral Audio equipment Ear Cable Auto part

3. Finally, cover the oil cooler opening:

Automotive lighting Grille Rectangle Automotive exterior Mesh

I mean, it's total cheating but it'll give me the look without an actual cooler.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
The aluminum panel is definitely worthwhile for cleaning up the entire area both visually and air flow wise. I'd do the fake hose in a heartbeat. W/ a 7-8qt pan and a street driven engine the problem is getting the oil warm. Believe me it will only happen in the summer and, even then 'warm' will probably be 200.

Reactions: zee

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Separate but related question:
Can I use the engine oil cooler as a power steering cooler? No harm in cooling the power steering fluid and if I go this route, I dont have to "fake" an oil cooler.

·
Junior Charter Member
895 Posts
I have a power steering cooler in the oil cooler position, no reason you can’t.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
Isn't it great? A little bit of discussion here and you came up w/ a solution. Wish I had thought of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't it great? A little bit of discussion here and you came up w/ a solution. Wish I had thought of it.
Personally, I'd have preferred not to have to wait 10 months for the kit, but there is indeed a silver lining :). It gives me so much time to research.

·
Not a waxer
12,091 Posts
Separate but related question:
Can I use the engine oil cooler as a power steering cooler? No harm in cooling the power steering fluid and if I go this route, I dont have to "fake" an oil cooler.
Absolutely! I autocross and do track days with mine and under those conditions the PS fluid gets HOT! Before adding it to mine I was changing the fluid twice a season because it would get discolored and smell burned. Now I go 2-3 years between changes.

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Hood

Cheers,
Jeff

·
6,333 Posts
Not saying a 180 doesn't exist but every engine oil thermostat I've encountered starts opening at 160°. If one runs something like 10W30 it will be difficult to get and keep heat in the oil, especially in colder climes. 10 W 30 sheds heat and is easy to start in freezing weather which makes it the best all-around grade IMHO but not necessarily the best choice with an oil cooler. In my case I found that commercial grade (AKA Diesel) 15W40 gave me the best in year round heat retention in street and track use in SoCal. Yeah, it gets hot in summer, but winters can drop into the forties and below. That's when the packing tape gets applied over the oil cooler.

As for the power steering, I have used and am an avid advocate of the Heidt's valve vs cutting the relief spring. to control line pressure to the rack. The Heidt's valve is adjustable and bleeds off fluid back to the pump reservoir which keeps the heat down by recirculating cool fluid back to the res. No cooler required in my experience.

·
Registered
226 Posts
2x for using the cooler for your power steering.

I used an original style Mocal cooler for my PS. I mounted the cooler on a wrap-around aluminum shroud like the one shown above. I have noticed many of the red and blue anodized fittings fade over time so I used nickel plated AN fittings which still look great almost 10 years later.

Happy building!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts