Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting the first 100 miles on my cobra.

I was wondering what temp the Oil and Water gauges should be reading? I read a
recommended 200 degrees for oil and a 20 degree lower reading of 180 for water
temp.

My temps were nowhere near that (80 and 40). Seems hard to believe with the
heat given off from the engine after 50 miles. Now it was about 5 degrees celcius outside at the time so the oil cooler was especially functional I imagine.

How can I test these temperatures?

Can they be real?

Marc

[ March 27, 2005, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Fluge ]

·
8,350 Posts
Sounds low even for Celsius. I'm sure the ambient temp. was a contributing factor; its unlikely that BOTH gauges would read low.

·
4,494 Posts
The temps should get up to normal ranges within about 5 or 6 miles. Do you have a 180 degree or higher thermostat? The outside air temp should have very little effect on the water and oil temps, may 5-10 degrees F at most.

As an example, I drove back from Lake Tahoe last night, 400 miles, running about 90 MPH for about 4 hours, outside air temp was 40 Degrees F (yea I was cold), Water temp was 185, Oil temp was 208.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I likely made a few wonder if I should be playing with cars....

I think the problem is the F degrees vs C degrees. Reference numbers used were F and the Smith gauges are C. The scale on the gauges is my first clue...

I'm learning...

Marc

·
Registered
206 Posts
Temps are way off if you are talking F. Even at C your still to cold. Check the rad, does it feel warm to the touch? Same with the oil pan. Oil usually runs hotter then water, the temps you mention (200/180) are good. You can always use a infer red temp. gun to tell the actual temp. Put a thermometer in the upper rad T fitting if you have one. Start car and see how it warms up.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Hey Fluge,

Nice to see a forum member from London. I moved to London in '67, my dad worked for Ford, and was sent to open the St. Thomas assembly plant.

We lived off Millbank and Southdale(?) road. I went to Laurier until 72, when we moved to the Detroit area.

Still have fond memories of London, cruising Dundas, Western Fair, etc.

My closest friend recently died from a brain tumor, but made quit a name for himself. He was a very gifted athlete at Western, Bill Rozalowsky.

As far as temps go, I usually run about 85-90 on the water, and about 100-110 on the oil.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Charter Member
455 Posts
Marc, the temp in Denver today was about 60 degrees F; my Smith gauges showed 85 degrees C for oil temp and 80 C plus a bit for water temp. All this after running the car for 45 minutes at easy revs and several hard charges to red line... just because I can.
You are in the ball park

Terry

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snakebit31

Thanks for the message. I think my temps will be similar as soon as we can get out of these 2-6 degree C temps. I'm hoping for double digits by midweek.

Although I did not know your friend, I likely know people who knew him well. I work with many Western grads, some of which were also very gifted athletes...hockey, swimming, football.

Every Sunday night there is a cruise night on Dundas East (at a Canadian Tire). Hung out all last summer and this year I get to drive my own.

Take care

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts