Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a cursory search on this forum and on the Ohio BMV website and haven't found the info I'm looking for yet.
Can someone in OH who's gone through the titling/registration process help with info on basic requirements to get a kit car titled? Also, any benefits of titling as a 65/66 replica vs current year?
I do have a 1966 289 HiPo donor engine and wasn't sure if this would allow me to title as a 65/66 car. I'm guessing a historical plate (>25 yr old car, cheaper registration) would be the main benefit of titling as a 65/66.
I'm not planning on the following:
-cats
-defrost vents
-reverse lights
-bumpers (but will have QJs)
-passenger side mirror
-wipers/washer
-padded sun visors (will have FF visor, but do I need to put a tube sock over to pass inspection?)

I live in Dublin and hear that the Alum Creek location is the best/easiest to get past inspection.
Anything else I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW, I just discovered that some cobra owners in OH have been able to title without inspection. I've been told to try this ASAP as the loophole might close at any time. I'm going to stop by the title agency tonight if I have time after work.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Unless something has changed since I titled my car, Ohio is an easy state to get a title for a F5. I live about 80 miles from Alum Creek but decided to go there for 2 reasons: 1) They are familiar with Factory Five builds (and they seem to like them). Two Highway patrolmen saw my car and looked it over with enthusiasm - joked that they would need to take it out for a test drive. 2) You are allowed to drive your car to the inspection station with no title and no plates - just have your paperwork showing your appointment in case you get pulled over. Of course you do need to have insurance. I really wanted to put some miles on my car and this was a perfect opportunity. They didn't inspect any function of my car - they only checked the numbers on the major components (engine, transmission, rear axle) to see if they showed up as stolen. After about two weeks I got a letter saying that everything came back OK and I had to return to Alum Creek to have a metal tag attached to the frame (new VIN - attached under the dash just above my knees). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update for those in central ohio...

on the recs of one my friends and also from one of the local car club guys, one can apparently title w/o an inspection. i just took my COO from FFR, bill of sale for my engine/trans, and receipt for my kit and rear end and they issued a title, just like that! (i had to pay taxes and fees, of course)
because it was so fast, I drove to a nearby BMV (here in OH, title agency and BMV are separate locations, for the most part), got in line virtually, and was called in to get my registration. I did both, at 2 separate locations, in under an hour!!!

The car is titled as a 2019 (date on COO), but had to report the milage as a "non-actual" miles as I didn't have any odometer info on my 1966 block. apparently even if it's been rebuilt, they need to report actual miles. I don't think this will be an issue as when I end up selling, the kit car buyer will likely understand this issue.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been talked about on the forums at least in OH. I heard it was easy in OH, but didn't imagine that it'd be this easy. If this is some sort of "hush hush" loophole that has been keep quiet for some time in fear of them discovering it and closing the loophole, please let me know and I'll take down this post. I figured that this would help others in the same position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts