Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is headed to see Streetrod Painter on the 15th of January.Though the chassis is not yet in the go-cart stage yet Ken said it would not be a problem to do all the fitment.And my goal is to have the car done by mid-April for a big carshow in my town so I have to get the paint started now and finish the chassis in the in the time it takes to paint.My dad and I will be making the 700 mile trip to drop it off,and my wife will go with me to pick it up.The color is still a suprise and the pics will be posted here in a few months.
Is there any tips I can use as far as what I should have done before the car leaves?
Thanks Sam

·
Builder..builder..builder
145 Posts
Remember to test fit the windshield at SRP too. We forgot and it caused problems later.

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan ,Ken told me to bring that with me.
Sam

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Also the side pipes and headers.

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pipes are not needed due to the use of j-pipes

Sam

·
Registered
394 Posts
I took the trip there a few weeks ago to drop my body off. They needed the car on the chassis with windshield, rollbar(s), side pipes and rear quick jacks to check the cut-outs and trim as necessary. They spend a lot of time on the doors so don't forget the hinges.

They'll need the side pipes whether or not you have j-pipes to check the gaps where it pokes through the body. Best if you have them installed.

They need the car off the trailer to do the work so you'll need to get the chassis back on after they're done. Bring a winch if you have one otherwise there's plenty of guys there to help push.

You'll be there a good three hours so bring something to read and some snacks. There's not much else around there at a walking distance.

·
15,282 Posts
Originally posted by PKingsley:
I took the trip there a few weeks ago to drop my body off. They needed the car on the chassis with windshield, rollbar(s), side pipes and rear quick jacks to check the cut-outs and trim as necessary. They spend a lot of time on the doors so don't forget the hinges.

They'll need the side pipes whether or not you have j-pipes to check the gaps where it pokes through the body. Best if you have them installed.
This is great advice -- reminds me of my trip to SRP a few years ago. If in doubt, take the part! It was Ken that figured out how badly welded my sidepipes were,and I had to get another set from FFR.

SRP's paintjob remains some of the best money spent on my build -- he does amazing work.

Cheers, John

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John ,This is a very exciting time for me ,The color choice has changed yet again since this post started. Its a bigger decision than I thought.I guess the color will be a suiprise to me too.
Sam

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Install the front splash panels, too. They will dramatically alter the fitment of the pipes at the body cutouts.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I was told by Jeff Miller NOT to attach the front and rear splash panels until after the car is painted and you do the final body fitment.
Paul M.

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
Knowing what I know (and that's not saying much) It seems to me that you would want EVERYTHING fitted before you do body work and paint. But then again I don't know much. Doing it the way you are planning I think is going to result in some fitment issues during your final assembly. I sincerely hope not for your sake. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and wishing you the best of luck.
Chris

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Attach the front and rear splash panels with clecos for temp mounting and proper body fit. Yes, I think the car should be totally assembled before gapping/alignment commences, to make sure everything lines up later.

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips guys .Ken told me that the rear cockpit and the sides of the trunk are the essential pieces along with the roll bars q-jacks and the windshield and door hinges I will be talking to him tomorrow to double check.
Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts