Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to stick with the original idea of the kit (Donor + Kit = Cobra), I'm planning to use the original Mustang gauges. Since this will be a "new" car, I'd like to set the odometer back to zero. Anybody done it?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
You can carefully pull apart the mileage drum and that'll allow you to set the mileage to whatever you want. It's a bit tricky and you might have to try a few times, but should be doable. Getting the numbers to line up was my most difficult part.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
I hate to say this, but you might want to check with an attorney... Turning back an odometer is a Class D felony in the state of Indiana. I know that even with my new Autometer gauges I had to sign a waver that stated the mileage was not accurate in the event I sell the car in the future. It was explained that used parts means used car. Maybe someone else can chime in here about the liability involved in this.

·
Charter Member
98 Posts
TM 1,
I made a simple tool from a light duty $1.50 1" "C" clamp to disassemble(and reassemble)the speedometer gear mech. If you have trouble tapping the pin from your's with a punch, send me an e-mail to [email protected] with your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you. I, like you, wanted to start at zero 'cause my completed Cobra was "new", even though it could be argued that it was made from used parts.
Don

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
I did this and got it COMPLETELY wrong. after 1700 miles, I'm showing 41xxx.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you line up all the deep grooves on the drum with the deep leg on the gears you should have no problems.
If the "old" OD starts at zero how is this different from buying a new speedo from Ford? Just a thought.

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
I used a pair of linemans pliers to grip the end of the pin, and levered against the edge of the support, and squeezed the pin mostly out, then pulled the pin out of the other end. Then, as mentioned, carefully line up the numbers as best you can, without removing them...

I finally had the numbers lined up, squared in the viewing port, at 1.1 miles, and called it good.

Took a little while, do it on a clean table or workbench and go slow...

An even better trick, is to go to the junkyard, get a speedo from another donor, and practice with it first. You can then figure out how the tumblers match up, as they don't easily fit together, there's these little tabs that keep messing you up when you try to reassemble...

Dave

·
Charter Member
165 Posts
I've done the same as the above posts from a mechanical perspective.

I've also been curious about this from a legal perspective. My opinion (I'm no lawyer) is that if I'm going to title it as a new car (ie: 2003) as I did in my case, it is certainly legimitate to have the odometer start out as a new car (ie: 0 miles).

The Iowa Dept of Transportation apparently had no issues with this as they inspected the car, observed the milage, and titled it as a 2003.

Titling one as a 65 (especially with used parts) and setting it to 0 miles certainly seems like a problem to me.

Thoughts / legal opinions?

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
You could always put the rear up on a jack and run the car in reverse with a brick on the gas; Wait a minute, that didn't work too well with Ferris Buehler did it? :D :D

·
5,559 Posts
I think that the mileage fraud issue would only apply to the car that the speeo is originally assigned to. Like if you "clocked" the odometer back on a Mustang to maximize your profit in a sale. Since it is in a completely "new" vehicle that is registered as something other than an '87-'93 Mustang it shouldn't be an issue. At least 2/3 of the cars being built use a crate engine, or at the very least start with a 0 mile rebuild anyway...

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
A small pair of dikes (wire cutters) is all you need to work the knurled end of the pin out. Don't completely remove the assembly, just cock it enough to be able to turn the tumblers while looking from the front. Don't ask me how I know this, but I learned from a dealer. Mike
:rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
Originally posted by B+L FFR 1686:
I think that the mileage fraud issue would only apply to the car that the speeo is originally assigned to. Like if you "clocked" the odometer back on a Mustang to maximize your profit in a sale. Since it is in a completely "new" vehicle that is registered as something other than an '87-'93 Mustang it shouldn't be an issue. At least 2/3 of the cars being built use a crate engine, or at the very least start with a 0 mile rebuild anyway...
That's exactly what I thought and argued to the BMV here. They didn't accept any of my logic, but instead read the law to me that was written with unscrupulous car dealers in mind. Like most laws, they are written to address one problem but tend to make other problems for those who don't fit that situation. It was explained to me that the drivetrain serial numbers, casting numbers etc. that I turned it to get the VIN identified it as a used car. It appears that logic is not a factor in determining the legality of an issue. That's why I said it might be nice to get legal advice.

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
I see no difference in zeroing out the odometer or replacing it with a new one from Autometer, etc. You're not going to put mileage on a new one are you? Mike
:cool:

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
One other thing to consider. If you are freshening up the motor (ie. overhaul), then you could always zero out and say that you have xxx.x miles on the car and rebuilt motor!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,736 Posts
HGi
One small trick I used was the use of scotch tape. Once everything is lined up use a piece to hold it together until the pin is slipped back in. Job was very easy, just take your time.
BillB

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Why not pick up a odometer that is close to rolling over and just spin it forward until it is at zero?

Just a thought....

Scott

·
Form Caesar
97 Posts
I'm not a lawyer but here you go

The Federal Odometer Act
http://www.thecommondenominator.com/cl080999.html

http://www.odometertampering.com/odometerregulations.htm

Indiana Code
http://www.state.in.us/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ch9.html

None of the above Regulations deal with an event such as this. The regualtions deal with issues where odometer is used on the same chasis be it repaired, replaced or anyevent where the odometer has been set to ZERO. any such case you must declare on the chasis that the cars odometer is incorrect.

So the question still remains can you do it legaly. Well the law does not deal with this problem and would require a judgment insuch case a lawyers opion would not work and still land you infront a of a judge facing charges.

It would be a good arugment stateing it's a new chasis, but again i would not want to fight it regardless because the cost of the autometer gauges are cheap compared legal fees

the law does not deal with this issue and i would not want to be the test case.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Part of the application in Georgia has a box to check that says " the odometer reading is not correct" (or something to that effect)....When you check this box , you're off the hook...
Also...You can just state that it is a new speedo...No one knows for sure , after you have taken it apart , and installed it in the dash...It could have come from any junk yard.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Odo rollback wasn't an issue in Kansas. My FFR is a 2003 with a new VIN number issued by the Highway Patrol. The donor was not an issue for the Hypo's except to make sure the engine wasn't stolen. They even wrote the mileage on the paperwork (zero) themselves.
How could you have a brand-new 2003, with a never before issued VIN, and have 71,000 ticks on the clock? Now I remember why I moved away from Indiana.
Proud to be a Hoosier expatriate,
d.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts