Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Odd oil leak

Tags
oil leak
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tomh440 
#1 ·
Hello, I have very limited experience in engine building, and I am humbly asking for advice.

After 4.5 years, I am finally attempting to start my engine for the first time (other than builders engine dyno). It is a 347, normally aspirated with the Mass Flo fuel management. Builder did everything except Mass Flo installation.

The motor started up and ran good once we got timing correct, but soon after that, we noticed oil leaking from the timing chain cover. Drips coming from seal between cover and block just below the fuel pump block off plate (in photo. sorry its the best picture I have that shows that spot).
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Motor vehicle Vehicle

I checked and the cover bolts are tight. I checked the PCV valve, its new and seems to operate (air flows through it). While running, we did notice smoke coming from the valve cover breather. Is the breather supposed to let air in? Out? Or both ways?

When I prepared for starting, I did not have oil leaking. I used drill and attachment through distributer hole to run oil pump until I got oil coming to the rocker arms.

Oil pressure while running was around 60psi. After finding leak I tried turning over motor with starter but no spark or fuel and got pressure (about 30psi), and no leaking.

I cant go to the builder for help (they are no longer in business) so I am on my own for this one.

Has anyone seen leaking here before? Is it possible the crankcase pressure is too high? Or am I going to have to remove the timing chain cover and attempt to re-seal it? I want to try running again this weekend and any ideas to try are very much appreciated.
:confused1:
Thanks
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
Crankcase pressure is a cause for leaks as oil finds its way to places that it normally would not, but in your engine, with that open breather on the valve cover, I don't think it's a factor.

I'd say just remove and re-seal the timing cover, new gasket, dab of silicone on those corners.

#3 ·
Is it leaking where that bolt goes in? If so, remove the bolt and put some thread RTV sealer on the threads and screw it back in. Usually the RTV will seal where the gasket is bad around the bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.