Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my build and been doing research for quite some time while I build the $$ in the Cobra account. I have a book on the Cobra history and I've noticed a few things about the original cars.
(1) Not that many in the book have stripes, most are solid colored
(2) Many more than I expected had under car exhaust not sidepipes
(3) Seems like no two cars are exactly the same, lots of suttle differences.
(4) Seems like quite a few had right hand drive
(5) There is one race prepped car (from 1964 British Grand Prix)that appears to have sidepipes AND under car exhaust. If I can figure out how, I'll try to upload a picture of it.
Take care,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
1) The street Cobras came with solid colors, no hood scoop, and under car exhaust. The competition Cobras had side exhaust, scoops, and stripes.

Of the cars with stripes, they varied as well.

2) See note 1

3) True. They were hand built in England, and then sent to the U.S. for installation of the engine and trans. They were painted here.

4) Not that many. Only a few

5) Can't help on that one.

2FAST

[ July 26, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: 2FAST4U ]

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Doug, all but about 30 or so original 427 model Cobras were 'Street' cars. Many originals were later modified to the S/C configuration and it's this state of dress that's really caught on with the replica crowd. So much so that many people (even some replica owners) don't even know about the non-S/C 427s or the earlier (and much more plentiful) slab side 260 and 289 cars.

Also as you point out there was more than one 427 body style, the wide and narrow hipped cars look quite a bit different.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
2) Around 1000 of the originals, but there are now many more cars of 427S/C appearance (scoops, sidepipes, quick jacks) than were ever built in period. There are even 289s with sidepipes.

3) Yes, we don't know how to build cars without 'character' ;)

4) Some cars have been both lhd and rhd during their 'lifetimes.' The 32 (iirc) COB cars, completed in England, were all rhd.

5) It may have been at the '64 British Grand Prix, but it wasn't a competitor - the BGP is a Formula One championship race.

·
7,134 Posts
Rinsey Mills Cobra book

AC Cobra The Truth Behind the Anglo-American Legend
lists just about every single Chassis number , with some info on each, including the 6 movie studio chassis'

1013 is the number he has, unfortunately I am in a hotel tonight (like most weeks) so cannot look it up now.

In terms of stripes, I know of at least 9 variations excluding color changes, from single to two stripes running down the fender valleys (windshield posts to nose).

As for the "under car and external", it is probably a 289 car that had the exhaust come out just in front of back wheels.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UK Coupe,
The caption reads that it was a RH drive car and is making its debut at the 1964 British GP. It was also unique in the fact that it had large cut out louvers and also rear brake vents. Maybe it didn't actually take part in the race. Doesn't really say. Oh well, another Cobra mystery

Zulu,
The car actually had traditional sidepipes (427 style not 289 FIA style) but you could also see the tailpipe coming out from the back rear of the car. I'm at work now, maybe I'll try to get a picture on tomorrow. Looks very odd. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Take care,
Doug

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,251 Posts

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
DFRESH, I agree with your observations. In fact, I was slightly disappointed with the look of many of the originals. They looked more like a kit car than many of the kit cars out there. In fact, I like the body lines on my FFR better than many of the original cobras out there. Especially the rear quarter panels. I could do without the perky butt, but the flares are nicer than the originals IMHO. The gas filler was in multiple locations. Many things were different. I think overall, FFR captured the best look from the originals and we have the end result; A very hot looking roadster.

·
Registered
130 Posts
3. Seems like no two cars are exactly the same, lots of suttle differences.
4. Seems like quite a few had right hand drive>>

I suspect that you are looking at Rinsley Mills' book which has many AC (not Shelby) Cobras. AC built many custom cars for the UK and European market. The cars that Shelby brought in had only a couple of variations, the most obvious of which were the small number of Comp S/C cars with side pipes and roll bar.

5. There is one race prepped car (from 1964 British Grand Prix)that appears to have sidepipes AND under car exhaust.>>

I suspect that car's a 289 FIA version, not the 427 (which didn't come out until '65).

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Another interesting point is that most of the cars that came with quickjacks (with the exceptions of the few original S/C cars) had the quickjacks pointing back towards the car not out like every kit that I've ever seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts