·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: Ford Focus ST170
Faults: Needed new front discs, pads, rear pads, clutch adjustment out
Major service menu price: £130

Anybody want to guess the total cost ?

(car is under non-maintenance finance, must be main dealer serviced)

[ April 04, 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: UKCoupe ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
I'll admit I'm not up on the exchange rate, so I don't have a good feel on how many $ a pound is (how do make the pound symbol anyway?).

But, I've always thought garages here charge a ridiculous amount for a brake job. Most places it's $100-$150 per axle. For what - about a half hour's work? That's why I always have done my own brake work.

Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
I guess it would depend on 130 pounds of what? bananas, rice, tires, potting soil? You guys should really stick to using currency like we do on the other side :D
On the other hand there was a car dealerhip that had a commercial that said their car/truck was only "7,000 bananas" (insinuating dollars) so a guy showed up with a truck load of bananas that cost him far less than 7K and they had to give him the vehicle after some legal action (probably a legend, but thought I read it).
Jon

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL

A grand total of £622 !!! That's $1166, for work I could complete in a couple of hours...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't Eric, you'll make me cry ;)

OK, here goes:

83.9 pence per litre (95 Octane unleaded)

$1.57 per litre gives $5.95 per US gallon.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's taxed at 75% :eek: The cost of getting the oil here is lower than in the US and we have our own below capacity refineries.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Originally posted by UKCoupe:
(car is under non-maintenance finance, must be main dealer serviced)
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Your financial institution put service restrictions on the car?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Originally posted by Eric the Red:
Dang........ people complain here about it going over $2.00 a gallon for 91 octane, I know it is rated different from there to here.....
$2 for 91?

I noticed it's around $2.15 this morning for regular heading toward Boston.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by MikeyRide:
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Your financial institution put service restrictions on the car?
We don't own the vehicle, the car is on a contract plan and has a guaranteed future value at which we can buy it or trade in/up. If it were serviced outside the dealer network it would be seriously devalued, resulting in the finance company losing out (which obviously would never be allowed to happen !). There are also mileage restrictions for the same reason.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Garages in general make lots of money on brake jobs. Most people get nervous when informed that their brakes need servicing. I brought my daily driver in for it's "free" service at 24k miles and the service mgr. called to tell me that the brakes were 90% worn - could do the job that afternoon for $950.00. He just needed my OK. The parts at NAPA for $240.00, and a bit over an hour of my time. Saved over $700.00

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
I once paid around $1000 for a brake job when I didn't realize how easy is was to do. I only take my car to a mechanic when it is something I don't have time to do or I'm too lazy.
As far as gas goes, we are at $2.70/gal for 91

·
8,153 Posts
I just did the front brakes on my daughters Neon. Brand new rotors and Raybestos pads were less than $100. It took me 30 minutes to run to Pep Boys for the parts and less than 30 minutes to complete the brake job including flushing the old brake fluid through with fresh fluid. It's sometimes inconvenient to fix your car yourself but it will always save you money. Plus it's a good excuse to buy more cool tools :D

·
7,134 Posts
UK my 1995 BMW 525 in SA was also under similar restraints on Service for 5 years but I still did my own brakes for just the same reason you have had.

They never asked during it's "on contract life " and if they had I would have told a white lie , as I travelled a lot and had services done in many cities. Service orgs were not always good at filling in the book, and many times I had to request a the next service guy to fill in the last one. My family still owns the car. BMW did all the std services to keep it legal.

In USA this is not an issue and Servicing is a Third party arrangement without penalty in most cases.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's not only a good excuse to buy more tools, it also allows you to justify it to the wife. "Hey honey, look how much money I saved us."
BTW, gas presently in Montreal is $1.03/litre for super, which translates to aprox. +4 bucks /gallon. Most of the cost is for tax!

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Zulu:
They never asked during it's "on contract life " and if they had I would have told a white lie , as I travelled a lot and had services done in many cities. Service orgs were not always good at filling in the book, and many times I had to request a the next service guy to fill in the last one.
From my desk, in seconds, I can check the service status of any Ford group car in Europe, unfortunately it's not feasible to bend the rules on this one.

If it were my own car I would, of course, do the work myself, it infuriates me the degree to which garages will take liberties with servicing costs. Based on buying the parts from a Ford dealer, even with their mark-up, and at Fords generous (IMHO) labour scale, they're charging $125 an hour in labour :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts