Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a 2001 Mustang Cobra SVT donor for my Mk IV build. I'm using the Mustang wiring harnesses and will keep what I must for the emission controls. Do I need to include both the front O2 sensors and rear cat O2 sensors (obviously including the catalytic converters as well)?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cats are part of emissions controls. If you are using the stock computer/wiring/emissions, I would say yes. Otherwise you'll get codes. So you would need the O2 sensors after the cats. I believe the J-pipes with cats have sensor bungs before and after the cats. Where you are from and what smog laws apply to your build will help determine some of your options. Some people remove emissions stuff and flash the computer. Bill

·
Tool Collector
6,608 Posts
The O2 sensors after the cats can be flashed out of the ECU with tuning software. You just need to find a local tuner or a software/hardware suite that fits your needs. If you are just planning a straight forward donor build just leave them in. The secondary sensors do nothing but monitor the O2 readings, they do not make adjustments to the AF mixture of the engine.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Having used a similar donor motor from a 2004 Mach 1 here is what I did. I had Art Cuesta do a wire diet on the OEM harness. As part of the wire diet, we eliminated the secondary O2 sensors, EGR, reset the fan temperature threshold, eliminated the PATS, and added a performance tune. The reprogramming is achieved by adding a Diablo sport piggy back chip programmed by the tuner he uses. If you have some room in your budget for the wire diet, I highly recommend it. Having Art do the wire diet is one of the best ways to assure your engine starts the first try. If you do not flash out the PATS, you need to keep the gauge cluster and the key module from the steering column. With PATS, if these items are not present and matched to the ECU, you will get a no start. Good luck, it is a big motor, but it fits, just barely.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts