Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I took the factory tour at the FFR Open House. Dave Smith, part-time tour guide, was talking about the importance of the FFR frame. He said, among other things, that he's been approached by vendors who offered to build the frame in China and deliver it to his doorstep completed for the same price that FFR pays for the steel alone. Smith replied that this is an American company and that the frames would be built here as long as he was in charge. "Not on my watch" was his reply to the vendor. Audience response: lots of clapping.

Just thought you'd want to hear this.

He also talked about the top secret FFR project but told us not to tell anyone. Sorry.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,745 Posts
Just one more reason I'm proud to have a FF Cobra.Even if I did buy it second hand!

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Wait, would the chinese one have less weld splatter?

*ducks*

I kid! I kid!

·
Senior Charter Member
3,086 Posts
Having worked with Chinese steel that seems hard as a rock one shipment and bends like butter the next shipment, Dave Smith is avoiding more problems then he would ever solve with a few extra $$s in his pocket.

I'm clapping too, just hard to hear from NC.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,473 Posts
Thanks, Dave for keeping it at home. We are behind you.
Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
The follow up question should be: What is the lineage of the steel used in the frame?

Additionally, where are the other parts made, such as the windshield, Le Mans gas cap, lights, steering wheel and such?

Don't beat that "Made in USA" drum too loudly. I'm sure there are shops in the USA that would be more than happy to make the remaining foreign pieces for the right price. Problem is I don't think most buyers would be willing to pay for it.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
I'm one for a better deal as well, but I also think that too many things are being imported rather than paying a little more for the "American version".

There will come a time when we only cook and serve the burgers, rather than farm the feed for the beef.

"Not On My Watch", in this context, is the best thing I have heard for quite a while.

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Dave made it perfectly clear that the Frame is what our lives rely on and that's why it will be built in the USA. Thanks again Dave, now tell us more about that secret project

·
Junior Charter Member
382 Posts
Thanks Dave. God bless America and all the men and woman fighting to keep us free...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
"He also talked about the top secret FFR project but told us not to tell anyone." originally posted by DMW

Was that the FFR Cheetah kit?

[ June 17, 2007, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Tim Potts ]

·
Senior Charter Member
567 Posts
I was in the crowed and could feel the passion in the mans voice. Good man Dave. It's not just the quality we worry about. The cheap eastern labor pool has much to do with corporate greed. I am an electrical engineer and have seen our electronics industry gutted by short sighted greed. The common plot is first they bleed and use foreign government subsidies to enter your market, then when you fall they pump the prices back up.

Iggy

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
The short answer for me is to buy American.
That's next to impossible anymore. Either not available, or cost prohibitive.
This is on my conscience everytime I buy anything.

·
Junior Charter Member
5,413 Posts
Secret Project Code name "LARRY" Awesome!!! To be revealed at SEMA!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,050 Posts
DMW, spill the beans about the secret FFR project. I will keep it just between me and you. ;) promise

·
Cobra Builder
1,728 Posts
SHAUN,

Ask me how much of my FMPP "Junk" was made in the USA?

0%!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Originally posted by YYYMMAN:
SHAUN,

Ask me how much of my FMPP "Junk" was made in the USA?

0%!!!!!
"FMPP" :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thank you Mr Smith, there are way to many products being made in china. There would be no way I would trust a frame made there, like it says in the instruction manuel, CAUTION, the part you are about to install, your very life will depend on, etc, no junk should be installed on these cars period. Makes you wonder the origin of our components?

·
Cobra Builder
1,728 Posts
Sorry, I ment "FRPP" or Ford Racing, my new T-5 tranny & rearend were from Mexico. Waterneck and other goodies were from Taiwan, very aggravating when you try to by American and you still get foreign junk. :mad:

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Yes, keep it American! I am finishing up a restoration of a 67 Mustang. This is an American icon and I'm embarrased to admit that the rear quarters, door skins, tailight panel, rear valance, trunk, and a ton of smaller parts were ALL made in ... eeek (Taiwan) :( The panels are much more flimsy than the original, you cant even lean against the car and drink a beer without leaving a dent, or the impression from the Chinese sewn levi's your wearing.

I will say, the floor pans were made in Canada and they are a thicker gage steel than the Taiwan body panels. Cheap too. They need to get into the body panel business, at least it is North American.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.