Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scheduled to pick up my kit in early December at Factory Five.

I just did a Google search of the recommended driving route from St. Louis MO to Wareham MA.

The initial recommended route was through Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse and upstate New York into Springfield Massachusetts and on to Wareham.

However when Googling the return trip, the recommended route changed to a route through Bridgeport Connecticut, New York City, Allentown and Harrisburg PA and on to Columbus OH.???

I have yet to understand why two different routes were recommended for going and returning. Driving times were identical with the Northern route about 48 miles further.

Since I will be traveling with a 1Ton Van and 16’ trailer, I was looking for recommendations from those builders in the North East who could offer some opinions as to which route makes the most sense in early December. Obviously weather may be a factor, but I am also looking for recommendations to avoid traffic congestion and bad roads. If toll roads can be minimized…that’s a plus. My initial reaction was that the route through upstate New York might be best and potentially more scenic. I have driven through New York City traffic one time…and it was not a pleasant experience.

Any suggestions?

Kerry and Kathy

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I too have driven through new york city and it was not a fun experience and I was not towing anything at the time. Being from Rochester its easier for me but I would recommend the northern route even with it being a toll road. make sure you have a good tarp and cover everything and tie it down well. That time of the year you may find salt along the road.
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
The norther route will have much less traffic and be easier with the van and trailer. If there is snow (as hard as it is to imagine, 90 degrees yesterday at JFK), the southern route might be clearer. If I were you I would plan on the northern route and listen to traffic and weather reports.

Good luck and remember to enjoy the trip,
Todd

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
For staying out of traffic the best way would be I70 to Columbus then I71 North to I76 East. Then take I76 East on to I80 east into PA. To avoid NY city take I81 north to I84 east all the way into Mass. I84 ends at the Mass Pike, take that 20 miles east to 495 South and we are at exit 1. If the time of day is not too bad traffic wise, you can skip I81 north and go all the way on I80 to I287 north to I95 north. Then take I195 from Providence out to the end. The second route only saves about 15 minutes with no traffic and 95 through Ct can get backed up pretty good until exit 48. Either way I would skip the more northerly route through Erie/Buffalo/Syracuse as the tolls are high with a trailer and it is definately a longer drive. Also skip taking I70/76 across to I78 as the speed limit is 55 most of the way and the road is narrow and not in great shape.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Schenck:
If the time of day is not too bad traffic wise, you can skip I81 north and go all the way on I80 to I287 north to I95 north. Then take I195 from Providence out to the end. The second route only saves about 15 minutes with no traffic and 95 through Ct can get backed up pretty good until exit 48.
As someone who takes that route every time I got to FFR, I would highly advise
you to take any other route you can possibly find. I'd rather have my
front teeth ripped out with no anesthesia than trailer up I-95 through Connecticut. :rolleyes:

If you are thinking about doing this on a Friday, that is the worst
day of the week to travel that corridor....

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,395 Posts
I would steer far clear of NYC & 95 thru Providence (traffic & accidents all the time, horror show w/trailer)

quik look tells me 70-76-81-84-90-495

84 @ 90 and 90 @ 495 may back up a bit at rush hour.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
My rule of thumb with a trailer is if I can't make it to the Tappan-Zee bridge by 2:00pm then forget going though CT. On a Friday that might be more like noon. 84 can get busy around Hartford at rush hour as well but nothing like 95.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Stay away from 95 in NY and CT.

·
1,595 Posts
I second Ted on not going on 95 through Conn if you can help it.

Bill

·
It's a car!
173 Posts
K&K, no contest. The Northern route given to get here wins. Scenic and much better road layouts, with a fraction of the traffic. Also kinder in bad weather. Tolls on I90 in the north or I78/Hudson crossing in the south are probably a wash.

I'm originally from just west of the Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson. Bridgeport can be unpleasant enough without taking a trailer through NYC.

If you'd like variety, you could head south on 95 through Connecticut, but avoid NYC by switching to I87 & I287 combined to cross the Hudson on the Tappan Zee. When those two routes split about 10 or 15 miles west of the TZ, stay with I287 to get south to either I80 or I78 west. That's where you'll be back on the recommended route through Allentown & Harrisburg.

As a mod to that alternate, you could start back on the northern route, but leave I90 west after about 26 miles for I84 west through Connecticut. About ten miles into New York State take I684 south to I87/I287 west, again across the TZ. Be forewarned, Hartford & Waterbury aren't much better than Bridgeport.

There, much more info than you wanted. Have a good trip, however you choose - Bruce

·
2,372 Posts
Good advise above! Avoid NYC and Conn. like the plague!

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
When we drove out to the London, OH show, and back, we used the NY thruway/MA pike route. For me it was easy. Plenty of rest stops, gas, places for food or to stretch. Took us about 13 hours on that route. I mean following Henry, we never dipped below 70-75mph with trailers... so figure that at your driving speeds.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Junior Charter Member
132 Posts
Kerry & Kathy,

Can't speak about the rest of the trip, but I drive the Connecticut, Mass and NY highways often. The Mass Pike (I-90) is a good route and will have the least traffic. It is a little longer. I-84 through CT is fine as long as it's not rush hour. (rush hour includes most anytime Fri afternoon) If you do get caught in traffic on I-84, I'd recommend the Blue Colony Dinner at exit 10. :D I would cross the I-95 route near Manhattan off your list. -Gary

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
95 in CT is not bad if you drive it not during rush hour. Get to I80, take that to 287, then to 87 north, 84 east to the mass pike then down 495 to Factory Five if you realllly want to avoid 95 but given that I do the I80 drive a few times a year from where I used to live in CT, I80 to 287 to 95 to 195 will be the best.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
When I picked up my kit I went the I-95 route throgh CT. From what I saw it can be a very large three lane parking lot. I agree with avoiding that route.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was at the factory today.
It was a good day
We drove in from Cleveland on I90. I drive alot of the area for business and if it were me driving in Dec, I would go I90. They do a good job keeping the road clear of snow.

I was really impressed with the shop today.
Makes me really want one bad.
I wish I was ready.

Craig

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
With that northern route just allow for snow that you will have! Lake effect snow from Erie/Buffalo usually till Syracuse. No one else will have snow BUT the lake effect locations! It can be dealt with slow easy steady driving! NYS knows how to move snow.. a lot of snow if needed, fast! Just allow for the extra time. I'm not a big fan of I81 in the winter - the highway is often backed up with snow related accidents. Any other time great drive, very scenic!

So, with the time of year you are traveling, I also like the route Don suggest. Yes you get tolls, and will have snow, but traffic usually moving right along - except rush hour around Albany. Albany's rush hour is NOTHING like I95 parking lots!

(stayed at a Holiday Inn but... grew up in central NY :D )

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I'll add my vote to avoid Connecticut. It's part of a territory I cover. I have taken 2 hours to go from Danbury to Waterbury (normal 1/2 hour) for no aparent reason. Do the Rt 90 and save your sanity. You don't need 6 separate stories of people trying to drive between your truck and your trailer in one trip.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
I guess the CT resident here is the only person that doesn't think CT traffic is bad. 95 is now 3 lanes in CT or more until after branford (no traffic to speak of there unless it is a summer month). Avoid bridgeport and new haven areas in the morning and evening rush hours and you are fine. Westbound is worse than eastbound late at night because of construction traffic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts