Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in building a car for sometime. Looking at old or salvaged Mustang Gt's for the engine and drive train only.
Weighing having engine rebuilt and freshened up vs. buying a crate motor. My primary question is the electronic controls from later model motors.
Should one try to transfer everything over and make it work or go with an aftermarket engine management system?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Depends on your experience level. If you're asking about a Coyote, which I've had experience with, my opinion is go with the Ford Performance control pack. A number of forum members have tried to make the donor setup work and gave up. It's possible, but not without challenges. You say "drive train?" What other components are you thinking about? Where in SE Michigan are you located? I'm in Lake Orion.

·
Super Moderator
29,374 Posts
Welcomes aboard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on your experience level. If you're asking about a Coyote, which I've had experience with, my opinion is go with the Ford Performance control pack. A number of forum members have tried to make the donor setup work and gave up. It's possible, but not without challenges. You say "drive train?" What other components are you thinking about? Where in SE Michigan are you located? I'm in Lake Orion.
I'm in Adrian. As to "drive train" I was referring to taking everything from a donor, engine, tranny and rear end. Yes my first thought was trying to move all the factory controls over might be a nightmare. I know it's been done but don't think I have the experience or confidence for that. Best bet for me might be to buy a crate engine that comes complete. It's only money right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts