Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about what is the best way, econimcaly, to get a not donor build 8.8 IRS Pin drive width? I see that Disk Brakes R Us have a complete set, minus rotors and breaks, but I dont know if $2500 is a good deal.
Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
You'll probably find, as I have trying to plan my build, that the big problem is everyone has packages and no one breaks out *all* the parts that come with it online, so its impossible to compare prices and figure out if its a good deal or not.

I assume all the vendors on here have broken down lists they can supply if you e-mail them, it just takes more time to do that.

Vendors: information is king -- give people too mucn, not too little.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you are thinking of the same thing that I am what kit have you been eyeing up? I am totally new to the Ford side of things and I want to try and only buy parts once, not two or three times trying to get all of the stuff that I thought that I had.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
I'd call Mike Forte. Talk to him and he can put togeather everything you need, even though you don't really know what you need. He will talk you through it.His stuff is all new, some others don't really mention that everything might not be new.

·
ChickenCobra
190 Posts
I highly reccomend that you include Mike Forte in any research into this part of your build ! I purchased the half-shafts from here on the forum, then had Mike build up the center section with the ratio, splines, and differential that I wanted ! Mike was GREAT in making sure that everything worked together ! Perhaps this is more $ than you wanted to spend but remember that the best is barely good enough for someone you LOVE !!

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Mike is the way to go. If you want an aluminum Mark 8 center diff, I have one. PM me...

·
Builder of FFR#5197
1,404 Posts
If price is the major objection you should reconsider the donor route, but definately involve a pro before you decide.
The Tbird knuckles, FFR midshafts, and donor (or Mark8) center w/3.27 is the route I went and all worked nicely. You can buy the parts you need, get new bearings repressed, and midshafts swapped, for probably about 1/4 of the price you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
I sell a complete IRS rearend with everything new including a new aluminum IRS differential, new CV shaft assemblies, knuckles, axle flanges, 10.5" rotors & calipers along with hardware for just $2500.00.
Mike Forte

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Jeremy,

Nothing is every simple in this process. I am planning on going the non donor IRS route too.

You did not mention if you are going 15 or 17" wheels - that makes a huge difference in brake options. Check out Gordon Levy's brake options - he has several that work well with IRS (even for 15" wheels).

Also, consider making any IRS upgrades (different bearings, stronger half shafts/axles, etc) at this point.

Mike Forte - is your stuff all standard T-Bird or do you offer heavy duty or upgraded components?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
We do offer a 12" 4 piston Wilwood system that clears ether 15" or 17" wheels

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi KC,
The parts are all standard T-Bird & Ford racing parts. Everything is new, nothing rebuilt so it an easy installation with all parts included. ****One note, the FFR supplied shafts are to be sent to RAXLES for assembly.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.