Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
See you at the crown surplus assets auction! :cool:

I'm curious to see if this story has legs. I can see some hotshot lawyer deciding that the penalty element of this law is beyond the pale of the crime etc...

Sean

·
Registered
155 Posts
They should have jailed as well!! Complete idiots!!Go to the track if you want to race.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
We were on our way to the race track when 100 of us got pulled over http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101114/NEWS/101119908/-1/news

funny thing is I was only doing about 20mph at the time as I was re-entering the highway after trying to find some gas and traffic was backed up...but they pulled me over too because of the "race car" look.

I'm at 3:16 in the video below

Some guys were doing 160mph on the way to the race track...which is reckless as not everyone else on the road has the same skill level.

And yes...they couldn't wait to get to the track. It's kinda like when you go to McDonalds and you order your combo and it comes and while they are ringing up your transaction you eat a couple of fries. I guess it was the same mentality on the way to the track...just couldnt wait.

·
Banned
2,213 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
At one point it says "Their cars were impounded for seven days." then later that a dealer has offered to by the Ferrari and the BMW will go at auction. What gives?

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
At one point it says "Their cars were impounded for seven days." then later that a dealer has offered to by the Ferrari and the BMW will go at auction. What gives?

The 7 day impound period is part of the penalty for excessive speed under our new laws. During this time the Crown made a decision to seek forfeiture of these vehicles and that is now proceeding.

I don't like the private resale to a dealer option (I thought Crown assets had to dispose of ALL these things at auction), but it sounds as though someone convinced the government agent that they would make more by completing a private sale for the Ferrari with a local dealer? Smells fishy to me. :glare:

Sean

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't want to pick a fight, BUT

I hear you man,but 200km.. just plain stupid..I have exceeded the speed limit by 30-40 km max ,I know at 50 over I run the risk of my car being impounding.I think I would cry if that happened .....When I was 20,yes,i was an idiot but now i'd like to think i'm a bit more respectful of other people on the road ..and i do love all supercars cars,not just ffr's .. Debate is always welcome. : }

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Spirited driving?

According to the article they were racing. Not cool anywhere...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Down here south of the border, it's up to the officer on the scene to cite a felony on the drivers if they ar going more than 2x the speed limit. At a minimum a few days in the pokey and the potential for up to 5 yrs at club fed and up to $250k fine. Can't confiscate the car unless drugs or some other crime can be proven.

Either way, that wasn't spirited, it was stupid.

·
Snake Farmer
10,319 Posts
Man is that video hard to watch..I started to get sea sick..:wacko: Camera lessons for Christmas..:001_tongue:

·
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a nice road for spirited driving. Check out the road on Google Maps... follow Mount Seymour Road from the ski hill down to Indian River Drive. The last time I was up there with Tatika and Idoxlr8 it started to rain about mid mountain so we turned around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sports car clubs in greater Vancouver should try and get Gov't / city approval to close the road to public and stage a hill climb event there like they do in Kelowna.

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
I don't want to pick a fight, BUT your not telling me that you don't break the speeding laws are you? Or maybe you just don't like Ferrari's or BMW's?

Anthony
I've never gone 124MPH in a residential area with people walking along the road!!! These two idiots could have killed someone!!

·
Type 65 Coupe in progress
902 Posts
The government that's big enough to give you everything you want...

Imagine what would have happened if they'd have had handguns, too!

Oh, then they'd probably be called "Cops."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just think these guys were tried and convicted on the side of the road, they loose thier cars before they would be able to have a day in court. I think it's one thing to loose your car for seven days, get a hefty fine and loose your license for a period of time but the lost of the vehicle for ever. I am a firm believer that these guys were moron's and they could have killed someone and I don't agree in anyway in thier actions. If they had killed someone I would expect they would have gone to court for vehicular manslaughter or something and had thier day in court.
I just think there has been a lot of power given to cops in this matter. In this case luckily there are no victims except the drivers now. It smells a little police state maybe. Time will only tell how this example finally turns out and future cases as well and how much more road side power there will be.
Now that I have had a bit of a rant can anyone confirm if they have been before a judge or not?

·
non
61 Posts
As some of you have previously read in an earlier thread I have first hand experienece with this law , that is me and 4 police cars have first hand experience , I was however not traveling any where near the speed that the Ferrari and beamer were going , but I was still going to fast , it doesnt take much to get to 40K over the posted limit , just a quick blip on the throttle and if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time good by car

I had no idea that they could have sold my car , I consider myself very lucky and I will never be flirting with this law again

Take it from me it is real and you have no idea how scary it is until it happens to you

Rob

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just think there has been a lot of power given to cops in this matter.

That is probably worse than the speeding.No Cop should have those powers!!!!I'll let a Judge decide,not some power hungry,meat head cop.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Our new excessive speed laws allow the police to impound the vehicles, but forfeiture is a government and court function carried out by the director of the BC Civil Forfeiture Act as heard in BC Supreme Court. The legal burden of proof is the civil standard of 'balance of probabilities' and their is no proof of guilt (in a criminal sense) required to proceed.

I wouldn't trust police to be given this kind of authority either, but it sounds like the decision to permanently take the cars is not in their bailiwick.

Sean

1 - 20 of 29 Posts