Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4602 isn't done yet; but I keep having this recurring nightmare:
Car's done, beautiful paint,
wife and I out for a maiden voyage. We stop at the local gas station where we must allow the attendant to fill the tank (state law.) In spite of the fact he is a highly trained refueling engineer, he sets the nozzle in the tank opening, rests the hose on the beautiful paint job and walks away. (This after struggling to figure out how you open the d*mn gas cap.) Being a full service station (as all are in NJ), we don't need to worry about him cleaning the windshield (we'd simply drive into NYC if we needed it cleaned) or check the oil.

Now the the nightmare's finale - when the nozzle clicks off, it pops out of the neck and leaves a nice scratch and trail of gas down the fender, tire, and wheel. At this point I wake up in a sweat.

After recovering and falling back to sleep, the sequel shows the attendant trying to get the pump to a nice round number by overfilling the tank and pouring fuel down the rear fender. Hope there's no fire coming out the side pipe when I pull away. :D

What's a guy to do? :confused:

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
I fill it myself.

If the dude gives me any lip, I cruise to the next station across the street. My local station guys don't even make a move to pump when I roll up.

When I had my CBR600F4 (or any bike for that matter), I also filled my own tank. I never let the jockey do it. No problems 99% of the time.

·
Male Member
1,873 Posts
Have a gun to his head while he is fueling.

Several years ago, I was in Oregon, stopped to get gas and the guy tells me he has to do it. Great idea. Jack up the price of gas a few cents to employ someone in a job with no skills. Just let him stay home and send him a check.

·
1,595 Posts
I have never had a problem with the attendant. He holds the pop-up lid while he opens it and actually puts his finger over the nozzle when he removes it. Not one drop has ever hit the car so far.

Bill G

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
I do it myself. I do go to the same gas station though and they know me. The odd time that I have had to get gas elsewhere it has never been a problem with me doing the refueling.

Olli

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Damn, I lived in NJ for many years and you guys give me cold sweats. I agree completely with mrpink with regard to "qualifications" of attendants.

Once a guy started my fillup (not a Cobra then, of course) and then started talking to me. I realized he was totally drunk! He finished without incident and expected a tip.

I keep remembering that its for safety. NJ and maybe two other states think filling your tank is a safety crisis that the average driver can't handle. Go figure!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Better idea, move out of Jersey!! :D Cross the river and come into PA. I doubt you'd have a problem filling it yourself.

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
I have always filled the tank myself. Never had an attendant try to stop me. Usually I'm done by the time they stop looking at the car.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Whenever I am in one of my weekend cars and in Joizy, I will fill my own tank without a problem. Most attendants -- even with towels -- never have a problem.

A few weeks ago I was in Newark with my daily driver. I stopped for a fill up. The "professional" fills my tank and I drive off. About 100 miles later my check engine light comes on. I stop at my local repair shop and the guy I know asks me to leave it. He calls me about an hour later and asked if I was in NJ recently and bought gas while I was there.

How the...?? Well, ya, I was there 2 days ago, how did you know I was there AND bought gas?

It happens all the time. The idiots don't tighten the gas cap, permits the tank to be underpressurized, and the puter "thinks" there is a gas leak and sends out a "check engine" warning. Happens all the time when someone else pumps your gas.

Moral of the story -- don't buy gas in NJ to save $2 on the tankful. It cost me $50 for the diagnosis!

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Dior55,

Yup everbody in NJ knows if you get a check engine light, go tigheten your gas cap and drive around for a day or two. Most systems are smart enough to reset after a few startups.

And for the record I have yet to have anyone try and fill up the cobra. They all just wait for me to get out and do it myself.

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.