Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the Titling and Registration process in NJ, specifically the emissions requirements. I have obtained the Reconstructed vehicle package from the MVC. Everything that I have read for a replica indicates that the car will be held to the emissions standards of the year that the car is completed. Effectively this means that you need to use an engine from the same year as the car or newer, and it needs to have all of the emissions equipment installed. I am not sure that a 2011 crate motor will even meet this requirement without some modification, and this definitely prevents a Mustang donor build.

Does anyone have any additional information or experience regarding the emissions requirements.
- For a new build, do you need to meet the 2011 emission standards, if so, how would you recommend doing it.
- Is there any process for using a donor Mustang, and being held to the emissions standards for the year of the engine.
- They also indicate needing to meet the safety standards for a 2011 car, does that pose any issues with regards to air bags, traction control, abs, etc.

Currently a Collector Car, Historical Vehicle, or Street Rod classification would exempt the car from emissions requirements, but they specifically exclude Replicas or kit cars. I understand from the SEMA SAN site that there is legislation in process to extend the street rod classification, but I am trying to determine the feasibility of a build under the current regulations.

Thanks for any help or experience that you can provide.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I am trying to understand the Titling and Registration process in NJ, specifically the emissions requirements. I have obtained the Reconstructed vehicle package from the MVC. Everything that I have read for a replica indicates that the car will be held to the emissions standards of the year that the car is completed. Effectively this means that you need to use an engine from the same year as the car or newer, and it needs to have all of the emissions equipment installed. I am not sure that a 2011 crate motor will even meet this requirement without some modification, and this definitely prevents a Mustang donor build.

Does anyone have any additional information or experience regarding the emissions requirements.
- For a new build, do you need to meet the 2011 emission standards, if so, how would you recommend doing it.
- Is there any process for using a donor Mustang, and being held to the emissions standards for the year of the engine.
- They also indicate needing to meet the safety standards for a 2011 car, does that pose any issues with regards to air bags, traction control, abs, etc.

Currently a Collector Car, Historical Vehicle, or Street Rod classification would exempt the car from emissions requirements, but they specifically exclude Replicas or kit cars. I understand from the SEMA SAN site that there is legislation in process to extend the street rod classification, but I am trying to determine the feasibility of a build under the current regulations.

Thanks for any help or experience that you can provide.
Give us the details of your drivetrain? Fuel injected or carb'd, big block, small block, or modular motor?

What you have read is only partly true, your cars emissions are tied to the year of the block itself.

IE: If you use a pre 1974 engine block, then you only need a PVC system in place. If you use a 1995 5.0L engine,then you need to have catalytic converters on your car and pass emissions for the 1995 model year.

Bill S.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not purchased the drivetrain or FFR kit yet. I am trying to understand my options so that I do not build something that cannot be registered. My preference is to purchase a donor FFR kit and build it using the drivetrain out of a 4.6 Mustang. If this is not a possibility, I wold be willing to go the route of a complete kit and crate motor. I have not really researched the option of using an old block that has been rebuilt, but I would be open to it if it gets me out of the emissions requirements. Whichever way I go, I will want to use an EFI setup.

·
Registered
935 Posts
NJ Cobra: me and Jonweisw are both a few months into our builds and have grappled with the same issues here in NJ. We kept it simple and found an engine builder in Rahway who will use a pre-1974 block and then build a very nice engine on that block. It is the year of the block that determines the emissions requirements. We went with 302 block, Mass-flo efi and im not much of an engine guru but the mechanic is doing all the uber-cool stuff to get the engine to put out HP in the 350-400 range (hopefully in the rpm range I am looking for!). Now the funny thing is....if you go EFI you either need to use Shortie headers and J pipes so you have an air sensor in the exhaust OR you can have a metal shop drill a hole and weld a bung onto one of the 4 exhaust pipes on each side of the straight headers so the EFI gets the info it needs.

I am not sure if after 1974 it shoots up to full modern emissions requirements or if its incremental based upon what the prevailing standards were at the time of that block's birth. However, I am pretty sure it gradually gets stricter and stricter as the age of the block goes down. I think the most modern engines (like a new crate engine) have more requirements than just CATS. I think there are a few other scavanger pipes and whatnot that may make the install a bit tricky.

Me and Jon went the simple route because the bottom line is its HARD to get exact answers to these questions and furthermore it seems that at the inspection the inspectors get a lot of personal latitude to decide what is or is not Kosher. If you just go pre 1974 block you are pretty safe.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
I have not purchased the drivetrain or FFR kit yet. I am trying to understand my options so that I do not build something that cannot be registered. My preference is to purchase a donor FFR kit and build it using the drivetrain out of a 4.6 Mustang. If this is not a possibility, I wold be willing to go the route of a complete kit and crate motor. I have not really researched the option of using an old block that has been rebuilt, but I would be open to it if it gets me out of the emissions requirements. Whichever way I go, I will want to use an EFI setup.

There are several modular motor powered FFR's in NJ so it can be done and quite easily. In the case of the modular motor, in order to pass your initial safety inspection you will be required to have catalytic converters on the car. Of course if you read through the packet you will also see that wipers and proper side pipe covers are required for the safety inspection. Also some helpful advice, make sure nothing hangs down below the main frame rails as they will fail you for it. Follow the simple items above and you'll be fine.

Bill S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OBD II Required?

mrmustang:
In regards to the modular motors set up with EFI used in NJ. Were they required to have the On Board Diagnostics hooked up and functional when they had the emission check?

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
mrmustang:
In regards to the modular motors set up with EFI used in NJ. Were they required to have the On Board Diagnostics hooked up and functional when they had the emission check?
I would say yes, they must have their OBDII functional.

Bill S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOUND NJ Emission requirements by vehicle year

Hi Everybody. I have been searching for the NJ Emission requirements by vehicle year and I finally found the entire document. These are the requirements for LDGV ,Light Duty Gas Vehicles ,Cars. I copied the entire document in Adobe acrobat if anyone needs it. Here is a link to the page
Model Year CO
(% by volume)
HC
(ppm as hexane)
Pre-1968 8.5 1400
1968-1970 8.5 1200
1971-1974 6.0 700
1975-1978 4.0 500
1979 & Later 3.0 300

1 - 8 of 8 Posts