Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Breeze upper steering shaft, the FFR spec racer lower shaft, and the Flaming River ujoint and rack. What holds these three sections together? The upper shaft slides into the lower shaft, which slides over the upper shaft from the Flaming River ujoint, but I don't see any way to bolt or fasten them. Are they just free floating, held in place by the collars at the bearing blocks? Thanks in advance for any info...

Ed Reynolds
FFR3619 :rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
762 Posts
On the stock shaft. the upper shaft is held into place by two little clips that go onto a groove on the shaft. After applying the clips you slide the shaft into the intermediate shaft and the friction of the clips hold it in place. Also after you install the pillow block, the pillow block helps from preventing you from pulling out. As far as the FR shaft to ujoint I don't know I don't have one, look for a set screw in the ujoint.

Mike

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. The FFR spec racer lower shaft doesn't have any clips like the stock setup. What stops the steering wheel from pulling the upper shaft out? Just the bearing collar?

Ed Reynolds

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Ed,

Both the upper and lower bearings have collars. The setscrews on these collars position the shaft and keep it from coming apart. I don't know about the RF ujoint.

Ben

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sot, the upper collar stops the upper shaft from pulling out, but what stops it from sliding in? Does it slide in flush with the dash? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to make a mistake in this area!

Ed Reynolds
FFR3619

·
FFCobra Fanatic
762 Posts
I think the sliding in is desired. Thats the safety aspect of the steering system so you don't get a sucking chest wound in an accident.

in = good

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
As mentioned in an earlier post, the Mustang upper shaft has two grooves on it. Two anti-rattle clips slide into grooves before assembly, thus making the upper shaft fit very tightly in the lower shaft. I installed the upper pillow block with the retainer on the forward side. The retainer fits over a slight lip on the pillow block bearing. A sudden forward impact on the steering wheel will pop the retainer over the lip, allowing the steering column to collapse. But the upper shaft can not pull out of the lower shaft. There is a large (~ 7-16") bolt that attaches the lower shaft to the FR piece. I believe I had to drill the hole through my Tristates lower shaft and my FR piece. I measured the position of the hole in the stock lower shaft and drilled the same distance from the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.