Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've been reading the forums for the past few months. Loosing some sleep and dreaming of my future build when I do sleep. This is such an amazing resource. Anyway...

I am trying to decide what engine to use if/when I start my Coupe build. I am looking at using the car on the street as well as tracking/autocrossing on the weekends. Looking at a stroked 302 or 351W. My main concern is living in California and passing the BAR ref and Smog inspection. I have read the few threads I could find on the subject as well as digging up some info from the Norcal Kit Car Club website. I figured the best resource are the guys that have built coupes in the Bay Area.

Do these cars require emissions equipment, i.e. catalytic converters, egr and whatever else was on the stock engine? What if I find an old block and do a ground up rebuild. Is it essential to prove the year of the block to avoid emissions regulations? I am planning on doing an aftermarket efi system and ditching all the stock ford stuff. Are aftermarket efi systems even street legal in California? Any leads to old threads on this would be great. Thanks guys. Great to finally be posting on here. I figured I would read up for a while before I started typing. Now I feel like I have too many questions.

·
Too much is just enough.
5,872 Posts
If you live in Cali, you need to look into the SB100 bill. There is a limit I think of 500 issued a year, but this makes kit cars designed after an older model to be able to not do emissions.

http://www.kitcar.com/editorials-kitcar/calif-emissions-bill/home.html

It's worth reading and will help you out a ton. Oh, IMHO, go with the 351W. It seems parts are easier to find for it. Take a look at Mass Flo. They're a vendor on here. Pretty sure that system is 50 states legal. If you do plan to get a SB100 bill tag to void emissions, try to plan your build to be ready to get one by Jan 1st of the next year. They go fast.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check out this link/document:

http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/id3.html

It does an excellent job of walking you through the process.

This year they had given out all the numbers by the end of the first day (January 2nd). Several of us camped out at our local DMV (San Clemente is know as one of the best) all night on the 1st to be in line when they open. This year it was overkill, everybody who wanted one got a number (as far as I know) that was there day 1.

Previous years they run out of numbers much earlier. It's not a fun process, but it's pretty cool to have the car registered as a '1965 Daytona Coupe' and be completely smog exempt (so you can use whatever engine you can fit!).

·
3,798 Posts
Went through the process this year with a 408w and no smog equipment beyond a PVC valve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent info guys! Thanks! That clears up a lot of questions. I am still thinking that the CHP may give me hell if I buy a motor that's been sitting in some dude's garage. I know that I would need a bill of sale but if the CHP has trouble identifying the block and verifying it's not stolen will they impound my car?

·
Torque Junkie
2,167 Posts
JJ the first SB100 car I had was in the same boat.. I bought an engine from a friend. He hand wrote a reciept for me stating what car it came out of and that was good enough. CHP didn't even question it.
I think they are more interested in the VIN than anything else.

·
Junior Charter Member
209 Posts
Just an added bit of information. You used to be able to register a car by the year of the engine block and making it meet that years emission requirements. That is no longer an option, or at least according to our DMV it isn't. It either has to be under SB-100 or meet the emission requirements of the year it was built regardless of the year of the engine in it. I don't know if this applies to the whole state as every place tends to be different it seems. A car builder up here has started using the later model Mustang engines. But in this area of the state they don't want to register any car it seems. Also I saw that they had some numbers left over after the January rush, but our DMV would not even call to see and they no longer post the number left on their site. If I were going through the process again I would go to one of the Sacramento DMVs as they seem to have a couple around there that will work with you.

Ron

·
Too much is just enough.
5,872 Posts
Ron, you can use the model year of the engine under SB100, case you forgot to mention it or something. I understand you were mentioning that under regular registration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So let me see if I'm understanding the SB100 correctly. From what I've read you can use whatever engine you feel like in whatever configuration you please. The registration will be done based on the body style of the kit, in this case a 65 Coupe. Do the 302 and 351W blocks have the VIN number stamped into them or is it just a casting number for the block? In other words, how easy to identify are the blocks? At this point I am leaning towards the 351W due to the future power potential. What would guys expect to pay for a bare block or long block in rebuildable condition?

·
Junior Charter Member
209 Posts
Blue,

I just never mentioned using the engine year under SB-100 because everyone that I know used the year of the body style. It is easier and faster as they don't have to get the block code and such and the body style is right in front of them.

Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, from all that I've read you would have to be insane to register the year of the engine. Unless of course you want to keep all the HP robbing emissions equipment. I'm so relieved to find out I don't need to worry so much about the engine and emissions stuff. I have so many things to think about now for the build. I guess I have plenty of time to figure them out while I save more money for my kit. Can't wait to start the project of a lifetime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts