Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question:

How do you figure what the difference is between an FFR LCA and an FFR LCA pin drive lenght? Is there a size difference? If the difference is lenght/size, then does that allow for more deep dish? How do I find out if I have pin drive or not? Thanks!

Snakebite60

Edited:
Please chime in here and read every post including the links of previouse posts. This confusing and we could make a serious mistake assembling the front suspension. Please respond assuming very recent MKIII, Pindrive lenght LCA with SN95. Thanks

[ June 30, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: snakebite60 ]

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Pin drive is only used with Halibrand-style true knock off wheels....If you have bolt on wheels you don't have pin drive. Many of the "knock-off" wheels are actually bolt ons with a spinner.
"Back spacing" of the wheels is what determines how far the wheel is in or outside the fender....
If you are buying new wheels , you first need to determine what kind of wheel and axle setup you want , and then check with members on the Forum that are using that type of setup , to determine which size wheels you need. There have been many threads on proper back spacing , so you shouldn't have any problem finding the right size wheel.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I'm in the same boat and new to this here. I ordered my kit with pin-drive lenght and was told that it will allow more dish which was what I was after and I had no intension of using true knock offs, but was thinking bolt on setup of halibrand from PS engineering or other similar venders. So are you saying there is no difference in the actual LCA?

·
8,155 Posts
Pin drive LCA's are shorter than regular LCA's by 2 inches or so. The upper control arm is the same but mounts to the inner set of holes for pin drive and outer set of holes for regular.

·
drmcat
596 Posts
I went pin drive length for the same reason as you Kouros. Pin drive arms are shorter (1" or 1.5" each side if I remember when I ordered my kit last month).

I read in a past post that now the upper pin drive LCA's are one color (gold I think), and the standard length are black, and there is no longer a common arm. There are also a lot of threads that make it clear Mike is right also! Guess it doesn't matter either way as long as they are shorter when mounted. Maybe someone can chime in on this?

mcat

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Mr. B - He wants to use pin drive length lower control arms with standard (lug bolts, not pins) spindles, not the pin drive spindles themselves.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
mcat,
I'm now very concerned?
What do you mean by "upper pin drive LCA's"? Are you talking about upper adjustable arms? Mine are black and silver. Did they send the wrong ones?

Mike,
There is no inner set of holes for the upper arm! is there?

Someone make this clear for me. I hear you, I see you, but don't understand you. . . This is a good time since that is the area I'm now working on. Many thanks guys

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
ttt

Don't let this die here I need help. Do I mount the Pin-Drive lenght LCA to inner or outer holes. There is no such thing for upper A arms so I assume you meant the lowers. Right? Also, do I have the right upper arm (silver/black)?

·
SuperCobra 1
14,690 Posts
Kouros, you mount them to the outer holes,

the inner ones are just for the longer donor LCA from the NEWER mustangs since they are longer.

The only thing that differs on the front from Pin Drive length and Standard are: the Lower Control Arms (shorter for Pin drive) and the IFS adapter/bracket ( Pin Drive length has only a set of holes and are smaller/shorter, standard Length IFS adapter/bracket has 2 Sets of holes)

HTH

Sergio

[ June 30, 2005, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: SuperCobra4Me ]

·
SuperCobra 1
14,690 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Noyes:
The upper control arm is the same but mounts to the inner set of holes for pin drive and outer set of holes for regular.
On the MKIIIs there's only a set of holes for the UPPER adjustable control arms, adjusting the (upper) arms themselves will give you the necessary length.

·
drmcat
596 Posts
OK, now I'm :confused: . In the following thread

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/051748.html#000038

Rick Terill posted "I talked to Steve Dutton at FFR this morning. He told me that ALL pin drive front suspensions should have GOLD upper control arms. The black ones were sent out in error. If you received BLACK upper control arms for your pin drive width front suspension, call Steve to arrange an exchange for the correct parts.".

That is where my statement came from Kouros. However, I just noticed this post was in Aug 2004. Sergio, does you mean that FFR switched back to black/silver arms recently, and the gold arms Rick is referring to are the "old" ones in your post? What was different between the gold and black ones? Sorry for so many questions (I had no idea when I ordered pin drive it would increase the learning curve so much, never would be able to figure it out without this forum
).

mcat

·
SuperCobra 1
14,690 Posts
well, I just read that thread completely.
I wasn't aware of these differences.
so I stand corrected.
I have edited my post above.

according to Mark here are the facts:

1)You must have the gold upper control arms for the narrow width (pin-drive) front suspension.
2)FFR has a changed narrow width (pin-drive)IFS bracket for customers that are having issues obtaining the correct neg camber specs.
3) You should be using the outer holes on the frame where the control arm attaches to the chassis, not the inner holes.
4)Do not oval out the holes on the frame.
5)You should not have to shorten the adjusting tubes on the upper control arm, if you have this won't hurt anything.
6) It does not matter which spindles you use.
7) The upper control arm may hit the spring in full droop, this is not a problem because the suspension does not reach full droop during driving conditions.
I hope that this clears up any confusion on this matter. If you are one of the people who are having issues, please call the factory and we will make arrangments to get the correct brackets to you.
Thank you
Mark Dougherty
P.S. no it does not matter what color your frame is
Now, I am getting confused too.

so IF you have to have GOLD colored uppers for Pin-Drive then CAN WE still use the GOLD colored arms for STANDARD length? If so, then what are the Black and silver for?

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Since that post FFR has changed the IFS bracket for the pin drive and all the uppers are the same. If you have PD length lowers you should have PD IFS brackets. The rest takes care of itself. Cheers Richard.

·
SuperCobra 1
14,690 Posts
Originally posted by Richard Oben:
Since that post FFR has changed the IFS bracket for the pin drive and all the uppers are the same. If you have PD length lowers you should have PD IFS brackets. The rest takes care of itself. Cheers Richard.
There you go, I was correct.
Thanks Richard

·
Senior Charter Member
190 Posts
Guys:

First, judging by the "LCA", I thought the question was referring to LOWER control arms.

THe pin-drive lower control arms are shorter.

Assuming you don't have one of each length to compare, another difference is the location of the gussets.

Stand the arm up on the floor so as to make an "A".

There are gussets at the bottom reinforcing the weld between the long tubes and the collars (through which the attaching bolts go).

Pin drive LCA's have the gussets on the outside of the "A". Standard length have the gussets on the inside.

Hope this helps.

Steve Dutton
Factory FIve Racing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts