Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, just got allocated some money from the wife and building a Kit Cobra is my dream. I want to start with a donor car, and not sure which one is the BEST and EASIEST to build a Factory Five Roadster using.. Any suggestions?

Questions include:
I'm wanting easiest to start with so I'm looking for a 87-93 Mustang Correct?
Does it need to be a GT?
Should it be a convertible or does it matter?
Does it need to be a 5-Speed car ?

Thank you for your help I look forward to many posts to come as I get started.

Mark

·
Sno B Gone!
3,185 Posts
Welcome Mark!

If you go totally donor, the manual GT is what you need. Convertable or not doesn't really matter.

Have fun!!

·
Junior Charter Member
594 Posts
Five litre LX will work also. Try to find one with a 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If you are going with EFI it is better to go '89 and up. Pre '89 is Speed Density EFI and not as friendly to bigger cams. If you find a good '88, as I did, you can convert it to Mass Air EFI fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
89 to 92 Mustang 5.0 Five speed. Rare beast these days, but keep looking, they turn up. If it runs and drives you are good to go. JMHO, Richard.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Why not a modular donor? (1999-2004) 15 years more development in there...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You might find it easier to buy the donor is pieces as needed.

Parts can be found on used classified very cheap and you can pick and choose through already geared rear ends, engine choices etc.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Welcome to the madness! Not sure where you're at but if you're on the east coast and don't mind cleaning the parts up, RobJ jokingly pointed out there will likely be some flood damaged vehicles for sale shortly. You could get most of your parts minus all electrical for dirt cheap and do well cleaning them up with the help of a good machine shop. Otherwise, I'm with Samadhi. I bought a donor, and one thing after another just wasn't what I wanted. For the money I spent on that car, it would have been just as much to have handpicked donor parts off eBay. Definitely would have been the easiest method as well.

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Suggestion...

Finding a mustang donor with the right combination of equipment in decent shape is getting really hard. You should check out MPS, they can put a "donor pallet" together with what you need and ship it. Or you can buy a salvage donor.

Cars Parting Out

I got my rear-end from them - complete rotor to rotor, emergency brake cables, brake lines, calipers, pads, etc. shipped to a local dock for $225. I found them very knowledgeable with the FFR group and they were good to deal with. I would have them pull a later year, lower mileage, explorer motor, newer lower mileage T5, with an earlier year mustang rear-end, wiring harness, tank, etc. Have them put together exactly what you want rather than buying a donor. They'll ship a BIG pallet to a local distribution dock.
-Tom

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
Welcome aboard Mark!

Best of luck on your build.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would go with the mass air foxbody mustangs (late 89-93 5.0 5 speed gt or lx) If you can find a complete car, I would go that route. The 90 and newer cars have a stronger 5 speed. The 87-91 cars have forged pistons. Some 92 and most 93 cars have hyper pistons. Try to buy a driver that way you can possibly drive the car for a little bit and work any issues or bugs out prior to delivery of the kit. If you buy a complete car make sure the car's vin number matches the one stamped on the engine block (on the flat spot on the rear top of the block between the heads) and the transmission (on the side of the trans near the bellhousing). If not, it is possible that either the and engine or trans were changed at some point. If they do not match then document it when you purchase the donor car. This may make things easier when getting the car titled in your state (check your state's laws). Different states have different rules, but in Ohio I had to document where the major parts came from, so having a donor car title in my name with the engine and trans numbers documented made titling easy for me. By the way, if you do buy a complete car, there is a decent market for the leftover parts you do not use for the build. Good Luck.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I bought a 1990 donor in 2004. It had a new long block so I was glad I got it but aside from the engine, tranny, rear end, and a few other pieces, most of the donor parts were spent and had to be replaced such as radiator, steering rack (eventually), rotors, calipers, drums, and some other things I can't remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts