Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just installed a 75/65 mm top end to my EFI '93 302. New Cobra air in take, throttle body, egr plate, Granatelli mass air and 24# injectors. Cam is Isky RR 265/275 and all else is pretty much stock.

The engine is running very rich. Questions: Is this a software issue and I need a custom chip? If so, any references for chip vendor?

Also, what advance would you recommend? Currently at 8 degrees.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You should not need to modify your EEC to run this combo. Have you varified your Fuel pressure? You may also want to take a look your O2 sensors. This may sound like a funny question but...How have you determined that it is rich? Many times the smell of fuel in the air and burning of your eyes is an indicator of high hydro carbons and can be caused by a lean condition. You may also want to bump your initial timing up to say 12 degrees. You can try and go up a degree at a time from there.

[ January 31, 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
Senior Charter Member
3,089 Posts
Check for codes it will confirm everything is hooked up.

I would look for vacuum leaks. Make sure the crankcase vent is hooked to the TB and PCV valve is in place. Double check for any open vacuum ports.

Also make sure you have reset the computer (disconnect the battery for a while).

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm wondering whether I've got a similar problem-- It's a new GT-40x crate motor (the 345hp one) with 65mm TB, big MAF, 30# injectors, RJM's harness (no compaints here about his products or service) and "Cobra" intake. It sooted up the HEGOs pretty quickly, is not very tractable (doesn't respond smoothly to small throttle openings) below 2000rpm, and will misfire occasionally above 3000rpm. I've got about 14 degrees static advance on stock ignition.

Two things I wonder about:
-Does the stock ignition need modification to suit an engine that makes 50% more hp than stock?
-Did I miss something by not doing the SPOUT connector thing properly? I use my battery cutoff switch when I do major work on the car (like now, new steering rack) and I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing when I start the car after the battery's been cut off for a few days. Do I start the car with the SPOUT connected or disconnected? When do I reconnect it?

Thanks!
John Tennyson

·
Senior Charter Member
3,089 Posts
Stock ignition is very good, don't worry about it.

The SPOUT is removed only to set base timing. After base timing is set, reinsert the SPOUT and leave it in.

One comment for both, your MAF must be calibrated to your injector size.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Narve is correct fix the vacuum leaks . Also make sure the mass air system had no leaks between the meter and the parts you put on . Remember this is efi rich is lean and if it's stinky rich you have a vacuum leak. Timing could be anywhere from 108 to as high as 18* My hot rod 5.8 lightning likes 16 best.This should not affect the mixture. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.