Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a safe way to remove the lug studs and then re-install them on a installed IRS spindle? I would prefer to do it on the car in lieu of pulling the knuckles and axles loose. I want to install longer studs so I can add a small wheel spacer.
Tony

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
A good air hammer will knock the old studs out, and you can use a stack of hardened washers and a lug nut to pull the new in (using an impact wrench). Not the textbook way of changing them, but it has been done on thousands of cars in shops with seemingly no negative effect. A small ball-joint press might be a little more delicate for removing the old studs.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
Tony
Taking them out while in the car is going to be a challenge. I looked at my assembled IRS knuckles last night and decided that I would disassemble them if I decided to change the studs. I looked because I am using a spacer on the front wheels and need to replace those studs. The front stock studs are Dorman 610-252 or equivalent, same as the ones that FFR sends for the rear. I replaced those with Dorman 610-426. You gain about 5/16 of an inch, almost all of which is in a longer shoulder. If you go to the Dorman web page and check, the 426 studs show to have a slightly smaller knurl diameter. But you get the same knurl diameter if you measure both the 252 and the 426 knurls.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
you dont need to remove anything but the wheel on a finished car.

if you rotate the stud to the bottom, there is a little lip in the back where you can push it out. (i used a big hammer). then i pulled the new ones in with a stack of greased washers.

james

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
I found that getting the stock studs out was no problem with the assembled knuckles. I found out the hard way that the longer stud would not fit due to the angle and had to take out my pressed in hub (brand new bearings) to put in the new longer studs. And yes, I did rotate the hub so the stud was lined up with the notch to remove and put it in, it just couldn't make the angle.......I had so much fun pressing in the first set of bearings I decided to do it again!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crook038,
You just brought up something I had not thought about. How long were the studs that would not fit back in? Richard's suggestion with the rod ends is sounding better and better. My rear tires just seem too far back in the wheel wells, I am trying to get them to fill up the wells better. I might try one of my son's 10.5" '03 Cobra wheel with a 3.15.
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.