Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally going to replace my old shocks with new ones from Breeze. I'm going with the double adjustable and softer spring rates. My present spring rates are 600lbs front and 300lbs rear. New springs will be 450 and 250. Setting ride height can be a pain in the butt. Is there any way to get the initial pre load close without having to raise the car up and down so many times. Or is this just one of those jobs that is a pain. I have a hoist but it's not the easiest thing to get it racked. I need to run 4 inches of ride height as measured at the frame rails.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Marty,

The simple and oldest method id to simply make a set of 4" blocks, and keep working ion the car until the 4 corners are the heights you want. Typically, there is some rake towards the front. Doing this the old-school way will get you a good initial set-up, but scaling the car is the only true method.

I swapped to the QA-1 DA shocks, love them. The let me adjust the handling and ride of the car. But, I question whay you are going back to a soft set-up, unless you are going only for comfort? Then, yes, the shocks will help settle your car out.

I Track mine, and the adjustable shocks definitely helped fine tune it, but I have the heavier rates and a front sway bar. On rails.

·
Charter Member
1,564 Posts
I used Bob's method in the post below (#15). It worked really well for me:

·
Cross Menber
92 Posts
I'm finally going to replace my old shocks with new ones from Breeze. I'm going with the double adjustable and softer spring rates. My present spring rates are 600lbs front and 300lbs rear. New springs will be 450 and 250. Setting ride height can be a pain in the butt. Is there any way to get the initial pre load close without having to raise the car up and down so many times. Or is this just one of those jobs that is a pain. I have a hoist but it's not the easiest thing to get it racked. I need to run 4 inches of ride height as measured at the frame rails.
This is the way I went with my coupe. 250 rear and 450 front. Mark at Breeze was great helping me decide what to use so I could soften up my car after breaking my back. The dual adjustable allows you to change on the fly, so I have my soft setting for normal driving, and stiffer when I go hit the twisty winding roads for fun. I have a stiff front roll bar, so turning is great.

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the softer rates because of the roads I spend my time playing on. I think they're rougher than dirt roads. Just one crummy patch after another. I do have adjustable sway bars front and rear. It's like I need a WRC suspension set up. My car is strictly street driven but driven a lot, about 9k miles a year.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Standard ride height is 4.5" front and 4.75" rear. I recommend setting the rear at 4.5 in the rear in your most common loaded configuration - which for me was with me in the driver seat and half a tank of gas. 4.5 would be good so you can take advantage of the extra suspension articulation provided by the softer springs.

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the ride height set at 4 in the front and 4.5 in the rear. Had a quick ride around the block. I think I'm really going to like these shocks and springs. Major improvement. Dealing with Breeze was incredibly nice. The softer spring rates were the right call I think. I'll know more soon.

·
Charter Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add that I've been buying stuff from Breeze since 2002 when I built my MKII. Mark has never led me wrong. Again another big THANK YOU1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts