Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my replacement spring/shock assembley and reinstalled them per the new install procedures (w/washers and "body up"). My ride height was about 4 1/4" when I dissasembled the "bad" ones. After installing the new combo I turned the collar all the way up to max height (no more threads) and still had 5 1/2" in front. (Nothing changed in the rear).

1- How do I get it down to previous height?

2- If I run at this height for a few miles to get settling, do I need it realigned now or later?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
If your ride height changes, get it realigned right away (once your happy with the ride height).

A change in ride height will change the toe setting ( and maybe other settings too) and will eat up your tires quickly.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Did you roll the car back and forth for about 10-15 feet after adjusting the coils? If they didn't settle after that, they won't settle any more when you drive it. I just put my new Bilstiens in yesterday and had to really turn the collar a lot so that there was a lot of slack in the coil at full droop, but got my 4 1/2 inch ride height and still had 5 threads left. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Dan, I want to get back to my former ride height of 4 1/4" and wondering if I need to get realigned or wait till I get to the desired height

Radarpete, I was able to roll it back and forth numerous times but didn't want to open the garage and let the airconditioning out :)! It was 90 here today!! NO threads left on the Bilistens!!

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
If you get the ride height back to where it was the alignment will also be where it was.But how to get the height.Quick answer is you need shorter springs. not sure why though if this is the package from FFR. OTOH, I have springs in 8,9,&10 inch lengths and they can all be used on my konis which have a very long threaded area. Can you post some pics?

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Porxter, yes my install is identical although I have less threads showing.

CraigS, that's what I thought now to figure out how to get the ride height down.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
alot of coil over sleves have the area recessed inside the collor deeper on one side than the other that either sits on the snap ring or the boss made on the shock. this will change the spring by more than 2 " as the collor sits lower on the shock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.