Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"These pics came from a guy in AZ. Yes, the mule killed the mountain lion. The lion had been stalking them for the better part of the morning, on the way out to a hunt. They were pretty sure it was after one of the dogs. The cat ambushed them, and the mule pictured tossed its rider and went into attack (defense) mode, the horses scattered and shots were fired but no one was sure if they hit the cat or not. Unfortunately, it wasn't until it was almost over that one of the guys started snapping pics. The mule finally stomped the cougar to death after biting and throwing it around like a rag doll. The dogs wouldn't even come close until the mule settled down.
I changed the pics to urls to add a buffer for anyone that might be offended by seeing natural selection in progress.

pic1

The cat was still alive here and trying to fight back
I would have never believed it.... :rolleyes:

pic2

The mule stomped the cat then pinned it to the ground and bit the heck out of the dead cat several more times.
pic3

The cat was pretty much dead by now then mule picked up the cat again whipped it

into the air again then stomped the dead cat again for good measure!
pic4

Note the dog audience.... Gives new meaning to the phrase "BAD A$$"....
I don't enjoy seeing any animal abused or die senselessly, especially for the amusement of idiots (sqirrels & slingshots) but was stunned to see how powerful this mule was. That's no small cat and could have easily taken out any of the hunters if not for the mule.

[ January 17, 2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: VPR-KLR ]

·
Premium Member
16,323 Posts
WOW, I bet his rider was very reluctant to give him any directions on the rest of the trip. :eek:

I would love to see this mule get ahold of the morons who did that to the squirrel. :D

Rod

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
I knew of a Donkey that was kept around for his hatred of Coyotes. He would stay near the goats on this property.

People thought he was worthless, but he would run down any Coyote and they pound-em in the ground, incredible.

The only downside, you couldn't keep any dogs on the property for this reason too, he couldn't tell the difference.

JQ

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Having riden a mule down and up the side of a 4000 foot cliff, I also have a new respect for these animals. The Molokai Mule Ride down to Kalaupapa is simply unbelievable.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,043 Posts
I do alot of hunting, and much more prefer to ride a mule. Mules are much smarter than any horse!!!

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
In parts of Mexico mules and even donkeys are used to protect herds from predators such as coyotes and mountain lions. llamas are used to protect sheep and are supposedly better than dogs.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
This was listed as one of the best internet urban legends and hoaxes of the year. Along with the 16 foot tall grizzly bear that charged the forest service worker. Snopes still hasn't been able to verify it. Still cool though.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
RIGHT!
Grab any,beatup,stomped,kitty with an ATTITUDE.
Grab it by the tail and toss it in the air.
You're Hamburger!

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best hoax of the year? Where?

urbanlegends.com

Comments: Thus far, we have received reports that the preceding photos were taken in Wyoming, Arizona and New Mexico. It can't be all three, obviously, so prudence dictates that we take the various anecdotes accompanying the images with a grain of salt — including the claim that the mule attacked and killed the mountain lion, which frankly appears lifeless throughout the series of photographs.

Those issues aside, the American Donkey and Mule Society says the images could be authentic and do show "exactly the mode of attack a mule or donkey would use" in fending off a predator (both have been known to attack dogs in this fashion). "While we are neither supporting nor condemning the photos," the ADMS Website says, "we do believe them to be a true depiction of what a mule or donkey would do faced with the situation of a predator invading their territory."
All they say is to take the pics and location claims with a grain of salt because they can't be confirmed. While the ADMS says "we do believe them to be a true depiction of what a mule or donkey would do faced with the situation of a predator invading their territory."

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
They do look a little 'odd', overexposed and kind of 'misty', but if they are fakes the animals sure are combined well. I will say that if you've ever been bitten by a mule (right through my shirt!) or seen one kick a fence you'd think it was at least possible.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
I'm sure Mules are tough animals, I would believe they could stomp a dog as well but like was said above. If you grab a mountain lion by the tail you just comitted suicide. That cat would wip around and latch onto the mules neck before the mule could even realize what happened. I'm not ruling it out but it is very unlikely in my book. Looks like a good photoshop job to me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In picture 1 above it seems there should be shadow of the mountain lion, you can clearly see the mule's shadow. Not saying it couldn't or didn't happen, but I think that's an edited photo.

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
My money is on Eric the Red... if the photos are actually authentic I think Eric hit it on the head.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Doggone it, you guys. I hate it when people expose the truth and blow up a really good story. Darn! :(
[No animals were injured in the typing of this response.]

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We speculated that the lion might have been mortally wounded before the mule put the cat through rinse cycle but couldn't be sure. My guess is the pics are not doctored but the circumstances might be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts