Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
12,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I said I would add "skid plates" to my offerings.

The very next week, I got bids and quoted from my machine shop/powder coating shop. We discussed Aluminum Vs Steel Vs Stainless. We decided that Powder coated 16-gauge steel would be the ticket. My machine shop owner says that Detroit does not use any steel over 16 gauge for its floors.

The second week, I made aluminum prototypes to experiment with for coverage (size) on our foot boxes.

I cut an order for my first offerings... Yesterday.

These one piece "skid plates" will reinforce the bottom 6" of the front of the foot boxes. They will reinforce the bottom of the foot box. They will be riveted on the outside of the box to absorb the blow of any foreign object kicked up by the tires that might want to get inside the foot box.

They will be riveted and glued/siliconed into place. They can be added to a completed FFR MKI or MKII.

Since they are professionally powder-coated the paint will be very durable. And, they can easily be repainted any color one desires. The standard color, as received, will be silver that closely matches our aluminum foot boxes.

The composite puncture resistance of the standard foot box plus the 16-gauge steel will be many times the standard foot box skin. Since this is essentially a sandwich of Aluminum, Steel, Glue its hard to say just how much but my machine Shop guys says MANY TIMES.

I’m expecting delivery of my first order for delivery to you, in mid-March. We are taking orders now.

Price: Drivers side; $25.00 plus $8.00 S/H
Passenger side; $20.00 plus $8.00 S/H
Both Sides; $40.00 plus $9.00 S/H

I welcome questions.

Earl Groce, aka COBRAEARL

BTW, Id like a different name than "Skid Plate"... as Skid plate implys the plate would support the weight of the whole car, like the engine skid plates on an off the road vehicle. SO, the person that gives me a NEW NAME that I decide to use other than "skid plate" wins a free set of what ever their new name
is... :cool: :cool:

[ February 10, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
3,760 Posts
Great, Earl. I'll be the first in line. I'd like both driver side and passenger side for a MKII, I'll take 'em sight unseen.

Put me on your list, you know where to find me! :D

AJ

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman FFR-4618
2,192 Posts
Earl I would like to put on the the list for the skid plates both sides. I have an MKII let me know when to send payment.

Thanks

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
Great idea Earl!! I have a hole in the foot box aluminum that came from road junk, off my tires, with enough force to cut through the aluminum! It was a bracket that holds a 18 wheelers rim on! It got stuck in the aluminum partway through.

·
12,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Traveler:
Great idea Earl!! I have a hole in the foot box aluminum that came from road junk, off my tires, with enough force to cut through the aluminum! It was a bracket that holds a 18 wheelers rim on! It got stuck in the aluminum partway through.
RALPH, from your experience and Miles, you should be in for a set. :confused: :D :confused:

earl

·
12,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Ozona:
When will you have pictures up?
I cant post a good photo until I get the actual items in.

I prototyped the units in aluminum and I made some mistakes that i corrected for in the production units.

Im out of big pieces of aluminum and dont really want to install Aluminum prototypes on my car, as I'd like to have the real thing myself.

Let me scratch my head and see what i can do.

earl

·
743 Posts
I would like to order one for each side. Where should I send the $40.00

Bob Covell

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
I like it! Would like to see a pic also. Show us the prototype so we have an idea what they will look like. If they are not too pretty no big deal it's just so we can see the basic idea. Thanks for working on these. Very nice safety item for ALL of us who like our feet and legs! :D

·
Charter Member
1,102 Posts
Count me in for a set - both sides.
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Earl put me down for at pair and while you are at it I might as well get your fresh air vent system as well. E-mail me how much it will all be and I will send you a check.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.