Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today , at the big car show in Elijay , Georgia, I met the Manager of the Street Rod Division of Pro-Shocks (Jim Bailey)...
I told him about some of the problems with setting up the shocks, so they wouldn't fail on the FFRs...He said the biggest problem is that some cars have the wrong damping for their weight and height off the ground....(the rebound rate is incorrect)...If you look at the top of the shock, it is stamped with numbers that represent the rebound rate of the shocks....Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get all the tech info, but you can get it from Pro-Shocks ...
Another surprise , to me, was the use of the little rubber "O" ring above the hat...
These are used to measure the correct setting for the height of the car....To check, push the rubber ring down on the hat...drive several miles, over normal roads, and then check the location of the rubber ring....It should be exactly in the middle of the shaft...If not, your height setting is incorrect...This can lead to shock failure...You must adjust the shock, until it is in the middle....If it won't go there, you have the wrong shock for that height.......Hope this helps...I'm going to get mine on a lift asap.

[ October 13, 2007, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Barry ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Are you talking about the rubber that rides up and down on the shaft ? Are you saying that after a few miles the rubber needs to be mid way (on the shaft ) between the shock and where the hat is ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the rubber that everyone thinks is a stop on the shaft between the hat and the heim joint...
It is not a stop, it is a gauge to show correct height setting...Yes, it rides up and down...That is why you reset it to the top of the hat...drive it, and check it. It should end up , mid-way on the polished part of the shaft (mid-way between hat and joint connection).

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
guys it does not go on the hat! the rubber o ring goes on the shaft and you push it to the body of the shock where the shaft comes out.. as the shaft moves in and out the ring changes its position on the shaft. this is really used for circle track and road racing to see just how much squat you have or the shock selection in order to make and or change spring selection.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I was saying that it rides on the shaft.
You set it as low as it will go,(against the top of the body and below the hat....sorry for the mis-quote). and then check its position on the shaft after driving....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts