Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
584 Posts
The bidding got up to $24,800. That's less than the price of a new kit. My reserve was $30k. So while it didn't sell on EBay I got some good leads.
Wow, thats a shame! Pretty sad that a car this far along can't even pull in the price of a new kit! :crying2:

I think it was just bad timing probably since there were so many other GTMs for sale at that time. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do with it!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Just an update to clear up the confusion.

I still have this car (#71) and will probably get back to it next next spring.

Just finished another car (#12). I took it as part of a trade deal when we sold #269. So I have worked on #12, #71 and # 269. I was kind of fun to see the progress factory 5 made along the way. #12 actually had glass rear 1/4 windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
#71 has a new owner

Great news for me, for a new owner and for the car. When selling GTM#12, I had great response. One interested party I talked to didn't win the bid, but I told him I had another car that still needed much loving. I told him what the car needed, what I had already done and what I still wanted to do. Namely the paint work. Everything worked out and a deal was made. I get to finish up the body and paint it. Then he will take over the project to finish up the Go kart, wiring and interior.
I asked if I could continue this thread at least through the paint work. The new owner thought that would be a great idea.

So here we go!

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Getting ready to pull the body

Letting a car sit for years in primer is not such a great strategy. Found a quit a few things I'll need to address. Worked on the front nose opening and I got the body ready to pull off and place it on the paint buck. Probably have that done on Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Got the car in the booth

Made pretty good progress. Spent a bit of time working on getting the radiator opening finished. Cut the hood grill holes and fitted the headlight lenses. Then put the car in the booth and wet sanded the body and hood to 400 grit. Still have the doors, handles, Mirrors and engine cover to finish prepping. Then it'll be ready to paint. hopefully I'll be ready to start sanding and polishing by this time next week!

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ready for paint

Just need some warm weather and check that the dash doesn't hit the passenger door. Next pictures should have some color.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Is there any part of a GTM build that just fit?.

I received the center dash piece yesterday. Center piece fit OK but the right pod needed the vinyl pulled back and the fiberglass trimmed to fit the console. The good news is that after the trimming the door was able to close with minimal interference.
I noticed that GTM #71 has no door stops built into the hinge. So I guess I'll have to build those before I paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Nothing is ever easy

Started out spraying a good sealer coat of DP-90 epoxy primer. Sprayed the metallic base coat. Sprayed the pearl coat. Sprayed on a coat of inter coat clear to protect the red from the stripe taping. Laid out and sprayed the stripes. sprayed on 2 coats of the final clear. All of this went like clockwork. And everything looked great.

Then the trouble started. I should have just cut and polished the final clear but I like to sand everything and spray on a flowcoat. This USUALLY produces a smoother finish and it allows one to minimize the ridge the stripes produce. However when I sprayed on the flow coat I picked up contamination from somewhere and I was faced with a flow coat full of Fisheyes!! I've been fighting them ever since.

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts