Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey man,

Just wanted to ask you, do your door frames require you to modify the body? That lip where the window seal would ordinarily go when you use frameless windows is what i mean Also, how does the glass operate within your frames?

Secondly, are you considering perhaps selling door frames kits since you have a mold?

Picture #1 is the outer skin and window channel on the door.
picture #2 is the inner skin in place but not yet bonded.
Picture #3 are the three molds So far.
Picture #4 is what the A pillar will look like when finished
Picture #5 is how the door is cut to make room for the new frames.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The goal was to make this so there was Zero modifications to the body. I have a smaller rubber that pushes onto the body flange the original molding pushes onto. The door frame seals to that. The other goal was to make the windows function like production car windows. I did pretty good on our red car. I'm pretty sure I'll get these to do the same.
One might be able to retrofit these doors onto an already painted car. (MAYBE) But it would be much better to fit them before painting the car. I still need to work on some internal mounting bars and misc hardware to make putting the doors together much easier. But I got tired of working on doors. So a little diversion was needed.:yes:

As far as selling retrofit kits or doors. Kind of depends on interest. But the main reason I did the molds is because I suspect this might not be the last GTM I do.

Don't tell my wife.:001_tongue:

Hey man,
Just wanted to ask you, do your door frames require you to modify the body? That lip where the window seal would ordinarily go when you use frameless windows is what i mean Also, how does the glass operate within your frames?

Secondly, are you considering perhaps selling door frames kits since you have a mold?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in getting a door frame kit :yes:

My door frames arent bad, but they are far from perfect and the windows do open and close, but the motors are straining a little more than i'd like. There is no way to adjust them so that they dont strain. The only thing to do is to have new door frames.

The goal was to make this so there was Zero modifications to the body. I have a smaller rubber that pushes onto the body flange the original molding pushes onto. The door frame seals to that. The other goal was to make the windows function like production car windows. I did pretty good on our red car. I'm pretty sure I'll get these to do the same.
One might be able to retrofit these doors onto an already painted car. (MAYBE) But it would be much better to fit them before painting the car. I still need to work on some internal mounting bars and misc hardware to make putting the doors together much easier. But I got tired of working on doors. So a little diversion was needed.:yes:

As far as selling retrofit kits or doors. Kind of depends on interest. But the main reason I did the molds is because I suspect this might not be the last GTM I do.

Don't tell my wife.:001_tongue:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Picked up my LS1 from Home Depot last week. ?

Actually I met the delivery truck in the parking lot of Home Depot. I bought the motor from Kalstar last year about this time and he graciously stored it for me until I was ready. Thanks Jim.
I Pulled it down to the Long block for cleaning. I actually got it all put back together except the exhaust and AC compressor. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures so you'll just have to trust me me. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My girl got a new hat

Received my roof scoop last week and installed it this weekend.
I cut the roof and created an opening into the engine bay for fresh air in. It also allows hot air out of the engine bay when not moving. Also started fitting the rear glass. Just have to build rear 1/4 window scoops, finish up the passenger door and cut the side scoop openings and it'll be ready to primer. Then it's just a lot of block sanding and the body will be ready for paint. Sound easy if you say it fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Actually I met the delivery truck in the parking lot of Home Depot. I bought the motor from Kalstar last year about this time and he graciously stored it for me until I was ready. Thanks Jim.
I Pulled it down to the Long block for cleaning. I actually got it all put back together except the exhaust and AC compressor. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures so you'll just have to trust me me. :)
Yes Jim is a great guy, really belives in paying it forward, and helping out when can.

BTW: You know the rules :yes: :neenerneener:

Ron

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Received my roof scoop last week and installed it this weekend.
I cut the roof and created an opening into the engine bay for fresh air in. It also allows hot air out of the engine bay when not moving. Also started fitting the rear glass. Just have to build rear 1/4 window scoops, finish up the passenger door and cut the side scoop openings and it'll be ready to primer. Then it's just a lot of block sanding and the body will be ready for paint. Sound easy if you say it fast.
Steve nice work, I like your approach on the roof, but.....

Can you slow down, I'm taking notes here, and I can't keep up with your "left coast" speed talking there :evil:

Ron

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got a chance to put some more motor stuff on. Mounted the flexplate/flywheel and trans adapter plate. I had the pressure plate and disk mounted but couldn't find long enough metric bolts to put it back on the stand so I had to pull it back off. I just hope everything will bolt together when I try to put the trans on. I'll probably try to mate the two on the bench before wrestling it in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Got a chance to put some more motor stuff on. Mounted the flexplate/flywheel and trans adapter plate. I had the pressure plate and disk mounted but couldn't find long enough metric bolts to put it back on the stand so I had to pull it back off. I just hope everything will bolt together when I try to put the trans on. I'll probably try to mate the two on the bench before wrestling it in the car.
Steve, hey looks great. Didn't read all the way through but I think you might have some issues trying to get the engine in the car with all the accessories. Maybe you were planning to take them off? But the water pump inlet, pulley bracket, alternator and bracket, clutch, flywheel... I don't think you will be able to make it past the frame with any of that on there. Anyway just a heads up in case.. Bob

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Steve, hey looks great. Didn't read all the way through but I think you might have some issues trying to get the engine in the car with all the accessories. Maybe you were planning to take them off? But the water pump inlet, pulley bracket, alternator and bracket, clutch, flywheel... I don't think you will be able to make it past the frame with any of that on there. Anyway just a heads up in case.. Bob
Thanks for the heads up Bob. I'm realy just trying to make sure I have everything I need to get the motor complete. But your right I'll probably have to pull it all apart again. But at least I'll know everything fits and it'll all be together.
Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
592 Posts
Nice progress. I'm still trying to decide whether to build one or just buy one already built. I definitely enjoy the build process, but not sure I have the time for it. I love living vicariously thru threads like this tho. Keep up the good work and I'll stay tuned with the popcorn lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Front wheel openings

Someone pointed out when I was building our last car that GTMs have an egg shaped front wheel opening. The fix only took me a couple hours and now I can sleep again.
Step 1, Locate the high spot and abrade
Step 2, Fill the area with a fiberglass reinforced filler.
Step 3, Sand wheel well opening round.
step 4, Blend everything back in

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Finally got my side scoops made.

I had originally made them to fill the rear 1/4 window hole and bring in fresh air to the engine bay. I also thought I want to bolt them on so I made inner panels. But after looking at the roof scoop all molded in I couldn't resist. This is the last body mod I have to finish up. And I'll make some billet grills similar to our last car.

The whole body has been blocked straight to 180 and sealed with epoxy primer. Just needs to be wet sanded to 400 and it's ready to reseal and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Jewels for the holes

Finally had time to get my grills cut, polished, welded, powder coated and installed. Now I can pull them back out and get ready to paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Alright Update

Hey Steve thanks for the update and pictures looking good man :yes:

Sure glad didn't have to pull an double dog dare on you, not unlike the fourm member up north across the border, who shall remain unnamed. :evil:

Keep up the great work, she looking real good

Ron

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Pilot Bearing

I had a four day weekend (sort of) and I thought i should install my motor and transmission in the car and get them out of the way. This was not to be. Seems I have somehow lost the left motor mount that bolts to the block and the rubber mount that attached to it. Found one on ebay and I bought the two rubber mounts Jayman 174 had in the classified section. So maybe next weekend.
While I had the motor and trans on the table I decided to dry fit them together. Good thing I did. The pilot bearing bushing only engaged the pilot shaft about .100". In other words only the seal was about the only thing engaged. About 6 months ago I posted all the parts that came with the kit asking if I had everything. "Eric at Kit Car Chassis ([email protected]) said he made that kit and would help me with any questions I had. So I shot him an email and he was most helpful in walking me through what I needed to do. He even offered to make me the new bushing if I sent him the flywheel and the measurements. Well I had all the parts in front of me and a lathe so with his instruction I made my own bushing. Now everything is right in the world again.

BTW the 966 trans is much easier to install onto the throw out bearing that the G50.;)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 69 Posts