Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago there was a GTM on eBay 4 hours from my house. I couldn't resist. So now I have a brunette and a red headed mistress to divide my time between. The car was originally purchased by a company that was going to build cars to sell. I guess that didn't work out so the second owner, who just finished building a Dragon, bought the kit and took it home. Then he decided he wanted to buy a house and couldn't find anyone to take the GTM as a down payment. So eBay was the solution for a quick sale.
The chassis is a roller but there was no cleanup of the original susp pieces so its pretty ugly down there. It's been 4 years since I've been at this stage of the build and I forgot how much there is to do and how much space all the boxes and donor stuff takes up, but I managed to get it all home and squirreled away.
I haven't decided what I will finally do with this car, but I'm real sure I won't put the work into it I did in our current car. I like doing the body and paint stuff. So I will probably start there.
One cool thing is the red head got some brand new drilled and slotted stainless brake rotors. No more rusty rotors on the showy car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I was watching that one before you bought it. What's the plan? keep the red one as a primarily show car and build this one more aimed as a regular driver?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I forget something

I bought some new axles from the auto parts store to get the splined axle that goes through the spindle. I have been beating on the inner cv race like it says in the GTM manual but they're not coming off. Am I missing something? Also noticed that the axle does not fit the inner cv joint race as tight as I remember. Hope once I get it off it fits the GTM axle a little better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let the doors begin

I gave up on axles for a while but I have been working on the latest addition. Since I have a roller I'll be doing body and paint first and work on the chassis while the paint is drying. (maybe)
The first order of business for me is side windows. I don't have the patience to try and adjust the door and the window to all work in harmony as two separate moving bodies. I liked how the windows look and function on our red car so I wanted to do it again. But this time instead of just building it on the car and leaving it, I'll build the frames on the car and pull molds off of the plugs so I'll have replacements in-case something happens and it will also be lighter. I also did some extensive work on the door jambs on the red car and this time I wanted to see if I could build frames that would fit in a stock body. So I finished the plugs on the driver side, pulled the molds and laid my first set of parts. I laminated the glass channel into the outer skin. The outer skin and channel will be bonded to the outside of the car and then the inside skin will be bonded to the inside of the door and to the outer skin. This allows almost infinite adjustment to make sure the door and frame line up with the stock body. I'll probably do the bonding this week end.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some more pictures

Picture #1 is the outer skin and window channel on the door.
picture #2 is the inner skin in place but not yet bonded.
Picture #3 are the three molds So far.
Picture #4 is what the A pillar will look like when finished
Picture #5 is how the door is cut to make room for the new frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
So since you've made molds which means you'll be able to reproduce them what's the possibility of offering them to some of your fellow GTM'ers?

Keith

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Bakersfield? Sounds exotic, where's that?
Bakersfield is the home of two extremely cool red GTMs and one ugly black one. So I agree with your evaluation that it must be a place for exotics. ��

So since you've made molds which means you'll be able to reproduce them what's the possibility of offering them to some of your fellow GTM'ers?

Keith
Nothing would be cooler than helping out my GTM buddies but I don't know if I'm committed enough to becoming forum vender but if there's enough interest who knows.
First thing I have to do is get this side finished. Then do the other side and from what I remember that's the narrow door with its own challenges. Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.

I got a Gen 1 that is in line! I can drive them down. let me know.
body is not mounted yet, but should be soon.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mendo,
Your body will definantly have to be mounted. Keep watching this thread for progress. When we get closer we'll work out a plan. What would be really cool is if my finished doors would just bolt onto your body. Im assuming ffr has only one body mold so they should be the same, but I don't know if the bodies are that consistent. Guess there is only one way to find out.

I'm trying to take a trip this summer that could take me right through your town. I would love to come by and take a peek at your car if possible? I'll have my first set done by then and could bring them with me.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
WOW! Nice going

So this is what happens in Bakersfield when a builder has an overabundance of time on his hands :w00t:

Now I wonder what else you have planed for the rest of the car, it should be something else to see, can't wait.

Ron

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron,
Either you have a spy camera in my garage or you are very perceptive? It's amazing how your perspective changes when you focus on the problems and not the completion. I don't have that urgency of "I got to get it done so I can drive it". When that itch begins to ail me I just take the red one or for a spin. :yes:

Suffering from OCD there are some other things about the build that bug me that I want address. But the side windows and cleaning up the A pillar area always get positive comments from fellow GTM buddies. So I start with that.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Bakersfield is the home of two extremely cool red GTMs and one ugly black one. So I agree with your evaluation that it must be a place for exotics. ��

Nothing would be cooler than helping out my GTM buddies but I don't know if I'm committed enough to becoming forum vender but if there's enough interest who knows.
First thing I have to do is get this side finished. Then do the other side and from what I remember that's the narrow door with its own challenges. Then I'll have to find the first volunteer that will let me install onto a virgin car to make sure everything fits. It would be awesome if we could just trade out original doors for finished. But I don't know if the bodies are consistent enough for that.
I'm not close but I do have "virgin" bodywork. Would love to work with you on the doors. Keep me in mind if you go that route.

You do some awesome work....very impressive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mendo,
Your body will definantly have to be mounted. Keep watching this thread for progress. When we get closer we'll work out a plan. What would be really cool is if my finished doors would just bolt onto your body. Im assuming ffr has only one body mold so they should be the same, but I don't know if the bodies are that consistent. Guess there is only one way to find out.

I'm trying to take a trip this summer that could take me right through your town. I would love to come by and take a peek at your car if possible? I'll have my first set done by then and could bring them with me.
Contact me when you are heading this way! I will be happy to have you stop by! I probably can put the body on pretty quick, I am sure it will come back off again anyway!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys,
I've been distracted by a little side project, but I've been working on #71 ever so slowly. The passenger side proved much more problematic than the driver side. I'm going to have to do something creative with the door handle linkage, as the back of the window almost hits the latch when going down. I didn't use out side door handles on our red car so I didn't run into this problem.

I have the passenger window just about done enough to start pulling molds. Just need to put the window back in and check frame fit and function one more time.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have you thought about relocating the door handle to a horizontal position up under the ridge a la 1980s lamborghinis?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My goodness it's been a while since posting about #71. Lets see if I can get everyone up to date.
Finished the passenger side window frame molds.
Glassed the bolt plates onto the front of the doors and started the bodywork.
Worked down all the body seams.
Mounted the rear diffuser so the alignment on engine cover could start. Mounted the engine lid, hinges, struts, latch and handle.
Worked on perfecting the hatch to body seams.
Work on getting the rear glass to body fit right. But I'm waiting on a roof scoop to install first.
Finished aligning the front end and worked on the side seam.
Glassed in and rough body worked the headlights.
Mounted the hood release handle and latches and struts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts