Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I recently ordered the mk4 complete kit. I am 17 years old and have no previous experience in building cars. This is something i have wanted to do for awhile and my parents finally allowed it. So far i know i am going with IRS but besides that not much changes to the kit. As far as the drivetrain goes im going with the 5.0l coyote and a tko 600 trans. if anyone has heard of the 5.0l coyote engine and trans combos from summit racing that is actually what I'm thinking of getting. Any thoughts on those? Besides that I'm pretty sure i will want to get power steering (considering i have been spoiled with it all my life) and i also want to get it street legalized in Maryland. Any help i could get from any of you could be so helpful considering the position I'm in. The kit should come around mid-late october. Should i buy the drivetrain before or wait untill i have the kit?
Many thanks to all of you

Cole

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Cole - Man you got nice parents! I'm in Brookeville, not too far from you. I can't help you with the engine question, I know that folks here have put that engine in the MKIV. I do hang out at the Sunday morning (8:30am to 11) Cruise In at Burtonsville. Rt 198 and Old Columbia Pike. Please drop buy and say hi. I have the car in the attached picture. There are quite a few Factory 5's that show up. You should also check out the Capital Area Cobra Club web site for info.
Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cole!

The best advise I can give is to figure out what you want out of your Cobra and have a budget (The members here will gladly help you spend $) There are many threads on the forum with tons of info, especially with mods/upgrades that your plan will change over and over again.

Defintely checkout our forum vendors - Mike Forte's and Breeze Automotive, they are both located in the east coast. You can get almost everything you need for your Cobra from them. There are other vendors as well like Gordon Levy and Jeff Miller "da bat" whom you should also look into...

Enjoy the chaos of building your own MK4, its fun and frustrating at times but at the end it will be all worth it! Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may want to do some investigating into whether you will even be able to get insurance to drive the car at 17. Not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you don't run into unexpected road bumps in the future.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Cole-

You are the luckiest 17 year old on the planet!!

Congratulations on your purchase and best of luck with your build. I have often suggested that folks starting out come up with a build plan. There are plenty of examples on the board that you can use as a blueprint for yours.

Basically, you just go through your build objectives, what your design goals might be, modifications you might like to make, etc. all in one place. I used an excel spreadsheet, and added items as I came across a good idea on this or the other forum. Or, if I found something from a vendor that I liked. My list is actually quite long, and I am now in the process of whittling the list down to those items I know I am going to do.

I think you could spend some valuable time between now and October doing something similar if you choose. As far as the drivetrain, I think you can hold off until you get closer to needing it in the build process, unless you are building the engine. If you are assembling your engine, go ahead and get it so you can begin that process.

Other than that, I wanted to ask if your parents would adopt me!! I wish you good luck with your build, and hope that you have a blast putting it all together and build a wonderful car!!

All the best!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
628 Posts
You may want to do some investigating into whether you will even be able to get insurance to drive the car at 17. Not trying to discourage you, just want to make sure you don't run into unexpected road bumps in the future.

x3: Not to burst your bubble but my 17 & 18 yo kids can't get insurance to drive my MKIII that they helped me build. Read that as NO insurance, not just expensive. Check with your insurance company before you go much further. Hopefully you'll have better luck in MD than up here in NY.

Paul

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Spoiled with power steering all his life.....all 1 year of driving. LOL

I kid I kid

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
17 or not, you can do it, many of us have built cars with no experience. that's what Factory Five is all about! i started at 35 with a Mechanical Engineering degree, but that did not mean i knew about "auto mechanics." if i could do it, you can too.

the MK4 kit is very refined and goes together easier than previous versions.

i can't speak to the best place to buy it, but definitely go with the Coyote if you can afford it. i am not sure if the motor mounts on the frame shipped from the factory are specific to the Coyote, but check that out in case you change your mind on engine selection.

the wiring for a Coyote motor with EFI will be significantly different that the wiring for a carbed motor, and running the wiring harness is one of the first steps, so you'll need to make up your mind soon. also consider your power steering hoses.

you can always do a separate post on the best place to buy a Coyote motor.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

oops you can't drink beer yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,985 Posts
He might be 20 when he's on the road :)

Greg

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
i wasn't going to say it!!!

:checkeredflag: :checkeredflag: :checkeredflag:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,314 Posts
I agree on the insurance thing. BIG problem. When my daughter was under 25, even though she was living 5 hours away at college, we had to sign a special rider to the policy that specifically excluded her by name from coverage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well either way this is something i really want to do. If that means i have to wait till i get (old) then thats fine with me. Also If i can drive it i will be using it as a weekend cruising car and i dont think my parents will be taking it to the track anytime soon. Also any ideas on a good flywheel to use with the coyote? And what pump for the#6439 rack and pinion power steering?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Before I comment on that, I wait until mid or end of October:cool2:

·
Junior Charter Member
368 Posts
Hi Cole
even if you cant drive it right away ,you are still lucky to have hands on a car like this, take your time and enjoy it and when the time comes to drive it ,,it will be an incredible day for you ..

cheers Dan!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts