Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you all,
I just wanted to give a quick photo update to those interested. I know that before I got my kit, I looked at everyone elses build photos and enjoyed the whole process.
Here's my site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624181640140/

I've jumped all around the car working around missing or ordered parts. My front lower control arms came last Friday.

Also, Thanks to all that have input issues, problems and cures. I've used their experiences to help move my build along. Last one being the gas tank flanges. That saved me a phone call.

Recent issues.
In building my front end (NON pin drive) I jiged up my spindles/hubs to ride ht and set up the camber and eyeballed the caster (about 3-4) and found that at approx. -3/4 degree camber that I only had 3/4" or less of the threads threaded into the barrels. This is very slightly less less than the 1 1/2 times diameter spec that has floated around here. I spoke with the one of the FFR tech guys who spoke with their engineers who said that One times diameter is OK in this application. Even on aluminum barrels. I'd rather have longer barrels but priced them at about $75. Don't feel like buying another set. The threads are 5/8" diameter.

Also, I found that my rack inner tie rod ends (the threaded part on each end of the rack) were slightly too long giving much toe out. I talked to a tech guy and he said that in some cases you need to cut maybe a 1/2 inch off of the ends. This I did but I haven't put the tie rod end back on. I'm sure that the DS will be OK. I'm still waiting on the steering rod (or what ever it is called) for the Pass side to assemble and check the inner tie rods for length. I got two DS's. I learned from this site that that happens so wasn't surprised.

Question re Gas lines and pump. I plan on using a ford racing 392/ 430hp carbed. and want to only use a mechanical pump on the engine. Mike Forte suggestedthis also for simplicity. So, bassed on what I've read here on the forum, I want to upgrade my fuel lines to 3/8". I ordered the 3/8" fuel lines from Summit. What I found is that Metal fuel lines are measured in OD whereas rubber are ID. So the 3/8" metal are in reality closer to 5/16" ID. For what it's worth. I'm adapting the engine end to 6an. The fuel tank end will be 3/8" ID rubber into the tank pickup that measures at 3/8"OD with hose clamps. Any opinions on this. Tell me that this setup along with a good quality mechanical pump will be fine under hard driving.

Sorry this is so long. I had a lot of catching up to do.
Thanks to everyone for their input to this site. It prevents a lot of problems down the road.
David

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
I've jumped all around the car working around missing or ordered parts.
That will still happen after all of your parts are in...or maybe that is just for people like me with ADD. :lol:

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Question re Gas lines and pump. I plan on using a ford racing 392/ 430hp carbed. and want to only use a mechanical pump on the engine. Mike Forte suggestedthis also for simplicity. So, bassed on what I've read here on the forum, I want to upgrade my fuel lines to 3/8". I ordered the 3/8" fuel lines from Summit. What I found is that Metal fuel lines are measured in OD whereas rubber are ID. So the 3/8" metal are in reality closer to 5/16" ID. For what it's worth. I'm adapting the engine end to 6an. The fuel tank end will be 3/8" ID rubber into the tank pickup that measures at 3/8"OD with hose clamps. Any opinions on this. Tell me that this setup along with a good quality mechanical pump will be fine under hard driving.
I am no expert, but I think you will be alright with that setup on a 430 hp motor. I would definitely not use the smaller ID connectors that the kit was supplied with. Just keep in mind every connection all the way to the engine and don't put anything in along the way that will bottleneck the flow. Things like unions can really restrict flow if you are not careful about your fitting selection.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Very nice expose'.

One question though. How does the crane work with all those cars standing on their side. I would have thought gravity would have made something fall. :lol:

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Tommy Jones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts