Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm Currently saving for my GTM build (single so its easy) My plan is to buy a C5 donor, a Mendeola trans (with master shift kit), and an LS2 stroker crate engine good for aprox. 580hp. My goal is to stick to around $65-70K is it possible? And I would also like to know what the hardest part about the build is (my guess would be body or wiring) I plan on doing most of the work myself with some help from friends. Thanks for any and all info in advance
-Richard

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Yes you can do what you have listed there for $70k.

The body work is usually considered the toughest part of this build.

USE THIS FORUM!

There is tons of info on here, and that is why so many support both the "official" FFR site and this one. This one has been around so much longer that the archive of info is literally invaluable. Just about any question you may have, you can find the answer here. If you are having difficulties, just ask, and someone will either answer the question directly, or point you in the right direction. For the most part, this is a "no bull" forum. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome aboard!

Yes you can do what you have listed there for $70k.

The body work is usually considered the toughest part of this build.

USE THIS FORUM!

There is tons of info on here, and that is why so many support both the "official" FFR site and this one. This one has been around so much longer that the archive of info is literally invaluable. Just about any question you may have, you can find the answer here. If you are having difficulties, just ask, and someone will either answer the question directly, or point you in the right direction. For the most part, this is a "no bull" forum. :)
Thanks for the info!

Also, is there any parts that I would need to build a complete car that can't be found on the donor car or comes with the kit?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Also, is there any parts that I would need to build a complete car that can't be found on the donor car or comes with the kit?
The fuzzy dice to hang on the rear view mirror...I have a set if you want them.

580HP? Why not squeeze a bit harder, and round-up to 600?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you done a search on the master shift? You may want to reconsider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. Have you done a search on the master shift? You may want to reconsider.
I have not are there many problems? I would think paddle shifters would be faster than a standard...

The fuzzy dice to hang on the rear view mirror...I have a set if you want them.

580HP? Why not squeeze a bit harder, and round-up to 600?
I would LOVE a set! lol I'm planning on 700hp in the long run.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have not are there many problems? I would think paddle shifters would be faster than a standard..
Paddle shifting doesn't seem to work well with an H pattern transmission. Might work better with a sequential shift. Unless you are racing and trying to shave tenths of a second off of lap times you can probably shift manually fast enough for most driving situations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sifting through the forum archives is tedious but I found a reference on the GT40's forum. Here is the link.

GT40s.com - View Single Post - Rod or Cable change for a G50?
Thanks for the link, glad I was told this info now!

Paddle shifting doesn't seem to work well with an H pattern transmission. Might work better with a sequential shift. Unless you are racing and trying to shave tenths of a second off of lap times you can probably shift manually fast enough for most driving situations.
I don't plan on doing any racing or going to a track often, I just want that "Production" supercar feel, and I want to save space in the interior. Are there any semi-automatic trans-axles that will work with the GTM?

·
Registered
470 Posts
cost and software are the big problems. the audi r8 trans sells for 10 grand, it's almost double the price for the r-tronic version, and that only works with the audi ecu. fran at rcr is selling the standard audi r8 trans for the slc. there are many threads about this part of the build. do a lot of research, I would have rebuilt the car 10 times if it weren't for all the great info on this site. there is invaluable info here that's NOT in the build manual! extensive info on modifications/upgrades especially.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome! Like Crash says...check this site. Come and just browse on a regular basis. It will make you think of other things....that lead to other things...that lead to other things...etc...etc.

I'm not done but I can tell you one thing for certain. Plan it out and walk through it step by step. You want a 65-70K car when your done. Not a $30,000 car that you spent 75K to build. That will take time, patience, research and lots of questions. So, sit down and do the reading and check all the sites. There's a bunch of build sites out there and everyone has helpful information on them.

Best of luck.
JM
http://gtm410.c0m

1 - 12 of 12 Posts