Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM VERY CLOSE TO ORDERING A MK III ROADSTER HOWEVER I'M UNSURE OF A FEW THINGS:
HOW DO I REGISTER / TITLE / INSPECT THIS THING IN NEW JERSEY? DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT MEETING EMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR A NEW CAR?
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
PETE

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
Pete,

You should come to our next breakfast and meet many of us who have gone through the same thing. See it under NE Events. (But, we are thinking of changing the date from the 16th to the 23rd so keep watching.)

It is kind of pre-mature to get into all the details of how to do it. The short answer for now is if you keep all of your receipts especially for the donor if you are going that route. When the time comes you will have no problem. You will have to go to a special "tech" inspection. As far as using a donor, the main thing the inspector is looking for is to be sure the parts have not been reported stolen. So, even if using a donor you might want to switch the title to your name so that you are 100% sure it isn't a stolen vehicle. Also be sure the engine and trans VIN's match the car VIN.

But, assuming you are going to register this as a specialty vehicle and not a daily driver they do not check emissions. They just check your speedometer ever two years to be sure you are under 3000 miles per year.

On the initial inspection they don't actually check emissions. Some people say they do check that it at least has the equipment corresponding to the year of the block. Others say they don't even do that. Since I put all the proper emissions equipment on my car it wasn't an issue.

Your car will be titled for the year you title it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the quick response. I wasn't planning on using a donor vehicle at all. I suppose that helps eliminate the possibility of anything being stolen.

Thanks again!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
NJPete,

I'm not too far down the road from you....

I have a completed FFR.

Olli

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I have heard some people who use a crate engine have problems because they are not stamped with any identifying number. But, I don't know of anyone who ultimately was not able to register their car because of this.

Good luck and hope to see you at the get togethers. You will find a large group of people who are wiling to share their knowledge and time. Also, about half of us have wives who also come to the breakfasts so if you are married bring her along. (Some also bring children.)

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Pete,

For sure come to the next breakfast, and if you want to see a build in progress, let me know. USMC has posted good info up above. The biggest question seems to be if your comfortable registering it as a collectors vehicle. The inspection tag is a triangle and other then the technical inspection for the title, it is just mileage.

If you want to go through normal registration, it will need to pass emissions based on the year of the engine block.

There are a handful of other things, needs to have windshield wipers, manual crank not allowed. Needs to have a brake failure light on the dash board. Needs to have 17 inch wheels to pass the technical inspection as well as heat sheilds on the side pipes.

_Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
35 Posts
I'm in hackensack NJ, looking to order a MKIII in the next couple of weeks (waiting for a big check! so I can give it all to factory five! haha)
I have my 351w roller block already in the garage... Have the Tbird rear assembly too, (guess I won't be needing that since I plan on ordering the "complete" kit)

I wanna sit in the complete car, to see if i want/need to do the expanded footboxes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott,

I would like to meet up at the next breakfast. Where and when is it?

Thanks again to you and everyone for posting some great information!

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Pete, I live in Wayne, my car is up on Jack stands right now [long story], but you're certainly welcome to come over and see It. Give me a call, 973-628-1653.

John O

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you are making a great move. It"s not that hard to register the car in NJ. That should
not be a road block to bying a roadster.Also you'll need defrosters. Defrosters and wipers on a topless car? hmmmm

GENE

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Hey Olsen....what the hell are you doing now?

Roscoe

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,427 Posts
I should be at the October breakfast with my Roadster if you want to see different seating & a larger pass footbox.

Street Performer Seats with the Breeze Mounts. Very comfy! Pass footbox is my own design.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
My brother just signed on for the coast guard and is staying in cape may. Any thing fun to see up there so maybe I could take a weekend trip or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.