Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for all of you that have been following my blown engine problem. As you know it was caused by Comp Cams inexcusably bad tech support telling me to change the distributor drive gear. I sent them a certified letter with return receipt requested last monday. I received the return receipt showing they rceived it today. They have not called, e-mailed or writen my any type of answer to their responsibilty in the matter. I guess they don't feel my letter and e-mail deserve a response. I hope this example of their "great" customer service will steer you away from Comp Cams. If any of you feel like helping out, please write or e-mail them to share your fellings about this matter.

Thanks all

Mike

[ September 18, 2007, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Mike in CA ]

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not taking sides, Mike,

But give them time to evaluate your complaint so they can give you an intelligent answer. If you are saying they received your letter today, it'll take a while for it to move from the mail room to someone's desk. After its first reading, it'll probably be forwarded to an appropriate department where it will be re-read. Someone will need to evaluate it, investigate it, & delegate someone else to get back to you. Don't expect a reply in less than two weeks.

In this instance, thorough is probably better than fast.

Still hoping for a happy resolution to your situation.

Best,
Matt

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Sorry haven't followed the situation. You have a roller camshaft right? Does the last digit of the grind number end in "8"?
It is my experience that with comp-cams an 8 indicates a roller cam that needs a steel dizzy gear. What did comp tell you to install on your distributor?

Also what oil pump are you running?

-dan

·
New
183 Posts
I believe Comp Cams and RHS have the same owners, so there go my plans to match a Comp Cam with RHS heads. Calling Edelbrock.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
You know.....I feel bad for you Mike and I hope you end up getting some kind of compensation, but my personal feeling is you likely will not.

Taking the approach of asking other dissatisfied or empathetic forum members to petition or otherwise hassle Comp Cams won't likely get you anywhere either, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Best of luck to you.

Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be surprised if you receive a reply before two or three weeks. There are legal liabilities involved here which will require careful investigation. Things like this take time.
auto10x
Bill

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I work very near comp cams. I had to walk into the will call area a few times with questions on my build. I wish I knew someone there that could help you.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I agree,give them a little time to respond.
This is a serious matter and I'm sure they want to address it properly.

Paul M.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I agree they probably have to perform their 'due diligence' before giving you and answer. However, I can not believe how moronic people and companies can be. For godsakes, they should give you the courtesy of a call or reply saying they received your letter and are looking into the matter and they will get back with you in X amount of time.

Instead, you feel ignored and get even more pissed off. Personally, I hope those people suffer the worst customer experiences possible in their personal lives. You reap what you sow.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the support guys. I figure they got the letter at least four days ago as it takes that long for the return receipt to be mailed back to me. But as yuu say, it will likely take more time to get a reply, but you think they could have called or e-mailed saying they were looking into it.

Mike

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Get a local shark to sue them for 25k plus all costs.

Roscoe

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well new info. I got a call today from Comp Cams. So things are in progress. I am having pictures sent of the cam and distributor and we will go from there.

Mike

[ September 18, 2007, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Mike in CA ]

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Good to hear. Send some pics of the damage caused as a result too.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Mike, as I said, I am very close to their office. Let me know if you need someone local to help with anything.

826 Posts
As I read through this I'm not sure who made the bigger mistake - Comp Cams stating to use the wrong distributor gear, or someone messing with something they obviously knew nothing about when they had just paid a professional to do the job. It seems obvious to me that the engine builder should have been consulted. People make mistakes, but if you are going to start taking something apart, you'd better know what you are doing and be willing to take responsibility for it regardless of who gives you the advice.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by The Federalist Patriot:
As I read through this I'm not sure who made the bigger mistake - Comp Cams stating to use the wrong distributor gear, or someone messing with something they obviously knew nothing about...
I'm not sure who you're after here?

Mike's sought and received advice from Comp on a specific component compatibility issue and got the wrong answer.

They actually gave me the same (wrong) answer.
The only reason I chose to ask a little farther up the chain, was because it didn't quite jive with some info a different tech had given me in an earlier call (red flag).

I think Mike has done his due dilligence.

Are you suggesting he should have known about this beforehand? :confused:

Sean

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
As I read through this I'm not sure who made the bigger mistake - Comp Cams stating to use the wrong distributor gear, or someone messing with something they obviously knew nothing about when they had just paid a professional to do the job. It seems obvious to me that the engine builder should have been consulted. People make mistakes, but if you are going to start taking something apart, you'd better know what you are doing and be willing to take responsibility for it regardless of who gives you the advice.

Good luck getting it fixed.
Yeah, I also have to disagree with the above comments. Mike knew enough to ask the right question, and he went to the source. If they did truly give him the wrong info (very possible) then Comp Cams should take care of him.
Comp Cams is a pretty respectable company, and a leader in their industry. Hopefully they'll come through for Mike. -dan

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the backup guys. In my defense, i would not have even thought about changing the gear if there was not a big red tag on the distributor instucting me to call the cam manufacturer to make sure the cast gear was compatable. So patriot, are you slamming me for actually reading the directions and following them instead of blindly plowing through without checking? Are you saying the manufacturer of the cam is less credible then a local machine shop. Yes my mistake was in not calling the actual machine shop that built the engine, but the maker of the cam shaft should have a good deal more knowledge then either the machine shop or myself in what is compatable with their products. If you can't trust them to give out correct information on their products, then really who can you trust? Maybe we should put the blame on MSD for putting the warning tag on the distributor in the first palce. Personally, i think you are not only out of line, but acting holyier then thou. I am sure you have called some company for tech support in your lifetime and expected them to give you proper advice about their product. Or are you so perfect that you know everything about evrything?

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
someone messing with something they obviously knew nothing about when they had just paid a professional to do the job
Man if that is the case there is a few thousand of us that need to stop building and ship our cars to Richard and Wayne.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Mike,

You are doing the right thing. Stay on them, and don't worry about people that look down their noses at you.

The smile will come back....

Bob

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.