Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new in the box Holley 650DP carb.Perfect fot the 250+hp small block(s).... Part# is 0-4777C, manual choke (can get the electric choke conversions). Price is $360.00 plus shipping. Serious inquiries only please.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly is the right price...Big difference here is that I am selling what is known in the industry as a "First", and Jegs/Summit is selling "seconds and sometimes thirds".........The difference being in the quality of the item being sold, with the first having passed all of the quality and performance tests at 100%, with the seconds passing 85-90%, and the thirds passing at least 70% of the same tests at Holley (Edelbrock, Earls, Aeroquip, are the same thing).....Remember, what you get is not always what you pay for, the average Joe (Tom, Dick, or Harriet) does not know the difference between any of these items, which is how Jegs and Summit can sell them so cheaply..........I've learned an awful lot about the industry now that I am semi invloved in it......

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

PS: I will never sell a blem, or second/third product to anyone...Only first line, top quality parts.............

Originally posted by mrmustang:
I have a new in the box Holley 650DP carb.Perfect fot the 250+hp small block(s).... Part# is 0-4777C, manual choke (can get the electric choke conversions). Price is $360.00 plus shipping. Serious inquiries only please.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by mrmustang:
Certainly is the right price...Big difference here is that I am selling what is known in the industry as a "First", and Jegs/Summit is selling "seconds and sometimes thirds".........The difference being in the quality of the item being sold, with the first having passed all of the quality and performance tests at 100%, with the seconds passing 85-90%, and the thirds passing at least 70% of the same tests at Holley (Edelbrock, Earls, Aeroquip, are the same thing).....Remember, what you get is not always what you pay for, the average Joe (Tom, Dick, or Harriet) does not know the difference between any of these items, which is how Jegs and Summit can sell them so cheaply..........I've learned an awful lot about the industry now that I am semi invloved in it......

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

PS: I will never sell a blem, or second/third product to anyone...Only first line, top quality parts.............

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mrmustang:

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.
</font>[/QUOTE]Say what? I find it extremely hard to believe that Holley, Edelbrock, Earls, Aeroquip, etc would knowingly sell parts that didn't meet their QC standards. Further, I doubt Summit and Jegs would knowingly sell parts that weren't up to spec. However, I can easily see that kind of "reasoning" being used at a speed shop to justify higher prices than Summit or Jegs. My guess is Summit and Jegs sell more Holleys in a day than most speed shops sell all year. Obviously, they would get better pricing from Holley, they would pay less shipping per part (bulk) AND they most likely work on much tighter margins.

Honestly, I'm shocked. I don't buy it even a little bit, but if you have any proof I'd be interested in seeing it (either here or offline). If it's true, it would drastically cut down on my purchases at both Summit and Jegs. :eek:

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wade,

Have your local direct (someone who has a master WD account, as this is the highest discount, period!!) distributor call up his/her sales rep at any of the companies listed and ask about their supply chain, and what is and what is not sold through Summit & Jegs. Don't take my word for it, just have them make the call...

Sincerely,

Bill S.

PS: I am not saying the parts are defective, just that they are not firsts. No company listed would knowingly sell a bad part.......You have to decide for yourself whether or not to by a blem or not. Nothing more, nothing less...make the calls, see for yourself...

PSS: Finally, even though I am trying to sell something here (whether I sell it, or use it on my next project is besides the point), why would I post something as crazy as this if I did not already know it was the truth....I do not ever open myself up to such critisism without knowing the facts first....You should know me far better than that by now......

[ December 15, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: mrmustang ]

·
Senior Charter Member
647 Posts
Didn't mean to create any hard feelings , I just thought maybe someone took advantage of you , personally I have purchased holley's from both Jegs & Summitt without having any problems and they looked like top quality parts I currently have two 650 holleys on my 428 and they work great goodluck!

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
The suggestion that Jegs/Summit are selling "seconds" is reckless and patently absurd.

Neither Holley, nor any other reputable manufacturer with a premium brand name would allow second rate stuff to be sold as top-line merchandise. Beyond the risk to the brand, the liability, in the event of personal injury or property loss, would be unacceptable if anyone could validate that claim.

At best, there may be some "selects" that are individually tolerenced, calibrated, balanced, blueprinted, etc. for sponsored racers or other "one-off" pursuits. But these are generally not sold to the general public.

Absent some evidence to the contrary, this sounds like an urban legend in the making.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AMD,
No, I do not think so, it is worth more to me to let it sit on the shelf for my next project. Thanks for the on topic offer though..

CobRat,

Check your facts and try again. I have intimate knowledge about this particular subject, and have spoken with owners of at least one (actually a group) large manufacturer(S) who confirmed it as true. One of the best kept (up until now) secrets of the industry as a whole...Not defects, just blems in one way shape or form....Guess you just have to deal with it, unless of course you can prove me wrong (Good luck)....Otherwise, why would I ever post it here....Think of it like going in to home depo and buying a piece of plumbing (like a Delta faucet).......At home depo, the faucet you buy uses platic washers, while the same item purchased at a regular plumbing supply shop uses a copper(actually a polyurethane) bushing set that lasts longer...In this case, you have a supplier who specs out what they want, and at the price they want to pay...is it the same item, yes, and no at the same time....Same goes for large retailers of the automotive kind...They have their own spec'd pieces..Not saying that they are defects, just spec'd out differently...Nothing more, nothing less.......

JOHNNYB26,

No offense taken....You asked a valid question, just some people do not like the answer given...

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

Originally posted by amd:
While you guys are attempting to make a point, will you take $200.00?
[ December 16, 2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: mrmustang ]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok, I never would jump on this but this is so far off base I am gunna

First, to suggest (in a public forum) that any manufacture is managing a quality check and sorting A,B and C stock and then boxing as "NEW" only to direct A product to specified resellers, then B to catalogs and maybe C to others is 100% a reckless statement. First of all in this case you are talking about a product that is carrying fuel and for that reason alone (due to labiality) the manufacture would have to be off his rocker to do it, second to manage a assembly process that would have this check built into it would just as nuts (what if some one found out). Lastly just because an owner of some manufacturing process tell you this wacky story does not make it true, more than likely he uses this angle to reduce the pressure on him from smaller retailers who never stop complaining about not being able to compete with catalog type resellers....

Pricing for like product is driven by business model, if the catalog model of buy in bulk, ship from rural areas, employee call centers and $9 an hour employees to pick pack and ship your stuff offer a total cost of saving over you model then you know the reason your local speed shop is not competitive. Most local speed shops need 20-30% margin just to make ends meet on some highway location (clothing retail needs 80-100% to survive in a mall enviorment). Your catalog reseller may need as little as 0-4% mark up based on your local speed shop costs due to deeper buying, soft money, marketing funds, and a wide variety of other ways to make things cheaper. They are just better business men (from a customer point of view)

Personally in my business I am the person who has build a model that gives me the ability to ship product below what most can buy it for. I DO NOT ship B stock or belms and really if I wanted to is would cost more to do it than risk would be worth. Product from any manufacture that does not pass a QC test goes through a referb process and then become service hot swaps for manufactures only (never to be sold as new).

On the home depot issue, it is always a different part number from the manufacture... This price and part story is something all plumbers use to avoid exposing what they say it jobber cost to them.

I think you have every right to ask any price for what you are trying to sell but please be responsible in your reasons why your item is worth more than others

sorry for the run-ons and spelling..... (disclaimer)

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff,

As always, I appreciate your semi insider view, however in this case, I know what I speak/post. Have the intimate knowledge that I needed way before I ever put woird one to this particular thread. You don't have to believe it, that is your choice....But don't discount what you may not know. Do the homework, speak with the top brass (not some $9/hr phone sales rep), if you can get high enough in the corporate foodchain to get an honest answer....

cobra9268,

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bill S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.