Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
I currently have a really nice Mustang that I really don't want to get rid of, but I have that "bug". I'm sure you all had that "bug" at one time, some prolly still do. How many of you actually built your kits opposed to buying one already operational? I "built" my Mustang exactly like I wanted, but actually building a car kinda scares me. I have two little boys (1,2years), so time really wouldn't be there to put into the Cobra--I would hate not finishing it and just call it quits! On the other hand, I read about all you guys and how proud you are when it's completed...as you should be. How much do some of you guys charge to assemble a kit, minus paint? Can you list some pros/cons with the different kits available--Thank You for that! There's so many out there I really haven't a clue on where to start. I'm on my third 5.0 Mustang, to the FFR kit really appeals to me since I'm comfortable on that engine.
Sorry for the long post, but I really need help.
Thanks in advance.
:confused:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I was in a similar situation, but I have lots of time on my hands after work ( no kids ). I had a nice 88GT - too nice to gut for an FFR so I sold it and bought an 87LX that was beat up. You could do the same or similar. Buy a donor, put the stock donor motor in the 94 and sell it. Use your built motor and remaining parts to build the FFR. Only problem is you might go through horsepower withdrawl until it's done. Maybe there's some FFR owners close to you that can help with that?

I don't regret my decision to go FFR one bit. There's no comparison to any other car on the road - other than another Cobra replica. It's a complete blast every time I drive it, and I built it myself. I know the whole car inside and out because I put it together. If you have some knowledge of stangs - I say go for the FFR.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
my suggestion.... if you REALLY have the bug.... sell the nice mustang.... but a cheeper beatup one and use the extra money for options or goodies or for paint etc.... :) most of all Have fun!!!

rgds

rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take it you guys are persuading me into building it?? The only thing is that time is nowhere to be found!! The ultimate would be to find someone who enjoys building these little beast, and they would really want/need a supercharged yellow Mustang as a large downpayment. I would bet the Cobra is too much after a Vortech install, man this would be the ultimate!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Believe it or not there are guys here that have more horsepower than your mustang has. You will see all types here. Superchargers, NOS, whatever, anything goes. There even is a fine fellow who has slipped a Viper engine into a Cobra.

I'm with ya on the time thing. i have yet to pull the trigger yet but I plan on finding 30 minutes here or there even if it cuts in on my sleep.

If you are really wnating to go the builder route, I know of at least 3 (could be more)that are on the forum here that build them and all the guys here speak very highly of them. Click on the vendors link at the top and you will see them listed there. Not sure if they will take your car as a trade in or not.

Good Luck

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
I'd start by calling Factory Five (508-291-3443) and requesting an info packet and a video. Read everything cover to cover, and then watch the video. I'm not sure how many videos they have on hand, but you might be able to get an extra from someone on the forum here.

After that, you'll definitely want one. I say get a banged up donor, switch the drivetrain out of your mustang, sell the mustang, build the FFR. Or you could have someone do it for you, as was already mentioned, there's several people who advertise here on the forum.

Brendan

·
12,650 Posts
Originally posted by Brendan Mulcahy:
I'd start by calling Factory Five (508-291-3443) and requesting an info packet and a video. Read everything cover to cover, and then watch the video.
Brendan
If you watch that video, YOU WILL BE HOOKED.

Second Step. Put a post on this forum, titled something like: "Any FFRs I could see In LA??"

There will be folks, like Lee Tilton that will be ready to help you any way he can. Go look at as many FFRs as you can.

Keep reading the forum to figure out the details on what options you want.

Get your donor, strip it.

THEN, WRITE THE CHECK!! :D :D

With your experience, building the FFR will be NO PROBLEM.

earl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a FF Cobra running around where I live, that's what got me all fired-up in the first place. I'll have to hunt him down when I return from my undisclosed location (Operation Enduring Freedom), I miss those carshows too much. Awhile back I was talking to him at the local cruise night and he mentioned he'd do another....hummmm. Thanks for the kind words, it's just the time issue I'm worried about. I prolly have the know-how, but.....turn-key would be so much easier on the family life!!! I've been looking at every color combo and I can't decide on one because there's so many that look great. One to match the Mustang would sure be nice. Better yet, yellow with black stripes Mustang and black with yellow stripes Cobra....OH YEA!!

·
Senior Charter Member
447 Posts
Originally posted by yello 5.0:
I take it you guys are persuading me into building it?? The only thing is that time is nowhere to be found!! The ultimate would be to find someone who enjoys building these little beast, and they would really want/need a supercharged yellow Mustang as a large downpayment. I would bet the Cobra is too much after a Vortech install, man this would be the ultimate!!!!! :D
Check out some of the other forums on here, as well, such as the For Sale, Cobra Cars forum. There are people who are always advertising either partial or completed kits for sale, but you can expect to spend in the $30-$40k+ range, depending on the seller and the car. I have a 9-month-old myself, but I also have a time table that puts the build about 4 years away. By that time, he could at least START appreciating it, and by the time I'd be done, I could drive him to school and he'd be the coolest kid in class on Show n' Tell days because his dad built a car! :cool: So, do it for your kids! (Great angle for the wife, too) ;)

PW

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Mike Mack at Tri State Motorsports (One of FFCars's Advertisers) is advertising a Turn Key on his site for Approximately 28,000 including the cost of a donor, and including Body Prep and Paint.

Tri State, Whitby, Levy Racing, North Cobras, Gess Motorsport, Cobra Motorsports, and Cobra Motion are all listed under Dealers on the Vendor Page. I would assume that they would all be able to provide you with a base turnkey for a similar price. Remove the donor cost, paint and prep, and the cost goes down. Add Options, the cost goes up.

Good Luck.

Brendan

·
7,097 Posts
Yello,
Check out the vendor lists here. There are some that will build you a kit to the specs that you want. As much or as little as you want.

[ August 13, 2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Horizon200 ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Best bangs for the buck in my opinion: FFR if you want to do it all yourself. Great feeling of accomplishment when you finish (if ever!) Backdraft if all you want to do is drop an engine and tranny in. Fit and finish is as good as it gets and you can still say you built it (sort of).

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all! I really appreciate all the responses and will look into all of the different avenues.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the yellow/black idea. Not that I'm biased. :cool:

I guess I take a different view on building the car. If you have the time and skill, it sounds like a great experience. I don't have lots of mechanical skill, so I decided to buy a turn key. I have great respect for those who built their car, and think they should be extremely proud, but I'm proud of my car just the same. I take loving care of it just like everyone else. I take pride in the fact that I race it and just have an all around good time with the car. There is nothing wrong with buying a turnkey car if that will suit your needs.

However you decide to do it, BUY ONE!

Thank you for protecting our freedom.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.