Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I, my friend and his dad have recently decided to adventure into the world of FFR. We just bought a 1996 Mustang Cobra. We are planing on using the Mark III Roadster kit (naturally, only one that fits this year). We are going to be using the factory DOHC 4.6 motor from the mustang cobra and also the factory suspension bits. Please, if you will, tell us what we should look out for/do/be aware of/and change or fix is order to make this project work out the best. Is there anything special that needs to be done? We are also going to use the factory breaks. Bassically, please tell us everything and anything you know about using the '96 Cobra for the Factory Five Mark III.
Thanks!!!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Dukegrad has a website that has some details on an MKIII build and what parts needed tweaking. Lookup his username and site.

Also, Sergio is currently building an MKIII with a 4.6 and has a nice website for it.

·
3,645 Posts
Welcome. I just sent you a PM. Feel free to call and come over (MKII)

NFS

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
First off all.
Welcome to the FFCars Forum !

Nothing wrong with your donor !
the engine and tranny should drop right in the MKIII, no problems there, I had some problems fitting my 2003 SVT Cobra engine.
If you did not know the 03 Cobra engine is different in many aspects from the previous years. It has DUAL serpentine belt systems, so it is longer, it is taller since its got an EATON M112 Supercharger on top, and to top it off it is wider, counting that the Alternator is hanging off to the driver's side. with the engine being blown from the SVT Factory it has an Intercooler, an Aftercooler, an IC pump, Oil cooler, IC pump module, IC coolant reservoir and many other items that need to go into the FFR frame, this of course not being the case with the previous Cobra engines, the 03 Cobra engine also has an IRON block (previous Cobra engines were aluminum), Manley Rods, Forged Pistons and Crank, 03 Cobra guys are making amazing HP numbers with the stock internals, just a blower upgrade, aftermarket pulleys and a Computer reflash or chip stand in the way between 400HP to 705 HP !
Check out my link at the bottom on my signature to see pictures and what is involved in fitting a 2003 SVT Cobra engine in a MKIII...

Later!

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Cobra4Me, i looked at your photos. Amazing project you have going there! Although I am happy to see we dont have to do some of the thing you are encountering. We pick up our 96 Cobra (wrecked, 55K miles) on wednesday. I will keep you all updated!! Thanks for all the wonderful information and keep it coming!! :D
Thank you again

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
Where are you in Cinci? NFS is on the road, and I'm about ready for inspection, title and licensing myself if you want a looksie ;)

Mark

·
1,027 Posts
If you are looking for a recomendation - figure a wire diet into your budget. I think both Sergio and Dukegrad will agree that a professional wire diet is even more important with this engine then with 5.0, it should save you a lot of frustration.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Thanks for the PM ! Ben

as I said before:

Plan ahead, give yourself some time to build this Beast of yours, it's not a Marathon, you don't have to rush things...
Email Roger and make an appointment months in advance if required... they are quite busy.

a WireDiet is a MUST !

Roger, if you are reading this...
I have found a better wiring routing on my project....
The BIG hole in the front of the firewall is going to get blocked off!

;)

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts