Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
new
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I want to by a Cobra kit, so I'm researching. I like Factory Five because I think it's a good value, easy to build, and easy to live with. However, I know a guy who has a Cobra [kit, not sure which one] and is in a Cobra club.
Please keep in mind this isn't bashing, just a search for info and setting realistic expectations.
Now, my Cobra club friend claims that the FFR kits have rough bodies, thereby requiring alot of body work, and that it takes a long time [over a year] to assemble.
What search terms or threads should I look for to address these issues, and do you guys agree?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i disagree, im building mine and i think its a great car all around. i also know people here who have built them in several months. like 3 months for several people. but there are people who take over a year but its all about how much time can you spend on a car... plus a car is not suppose to be mad over night.. light anything worth while it takes time..

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
You'll get a bit of a biased opinion here.

The body is fiberglass, so it's going to take some work to get it looking really nice. Any of them that are fiberglass, which is all of them but Kirkham, are going to take some work.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. You're right about FFR being a good value.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think a lot of us have built our cars during leisure time, and that can stretch out the build quite a lot. Especially here in the northeast, where guys like myself more or less take the winter off, because the garage is too cold. In retrospect, I think it would be possible to assemble one of these (mine's a MKII with a donor 5.0) in a couple of months, working at it full time. As others have said, prepping and painting the fiberglass body takes a while, but that is part of the process of building a kit in the first place.

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
I have a friend who built his in less than six months. I could have finished mine already if I would spend less time on the computer.

My body was very rough. My friend got one that was even worse than mine and another friend got one that was very nice. I had no experience with body work until now. It does not take long at all to get the body in shape.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
The body IS rough and needs work, but that is part of why it costs less. ALL fiberglass bodies need work, just some more than others. If you can do some of the basic bodywork yourself, you save paying the factory for it. Some people say "you get what you pay for" - not always. I've seen plenty of stuff that costs more that isn't much better. You can pay more if you want, but the quality to dollar ratio of the FFR is tough to beat.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Time to build depends on the person doing the building and amount of time you have avalible to work on it.
The bodys do need body work but again,it depends on who's doing the work as to how long it takes or how hard it is. Many of the pro body guys have said ffr bodys are far from the worse bodys to do.
My donor build minus body work was just over two months form delivery to inspected and road legal. Body and paint 12 weeks during the winter. All work in house.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I had 400hrs in my build, and it took 4 months. A few hours each night during the week, and more on the weekends. Easy pace, got it done quick. Then, next season, I spent 150hrs prepping the body. I had never done any fiberglass work before, so a lot of my 150hrs was wasted through the learning process. I think our forum venders who have painted countless FFR bodies average somewhere around 50hrs total time prepping, painting, reassembling. Not too bad, in my opinion. FFR could offer a straighter body, but price would go up. I think it's a bargain at the current price.

The older the molds are, the rougher the bodies, or so I've been told. Mine was pretty rough, but I've seen some that are much better, and probably came from newer molds.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
the amount of time it takes to build is entirely up to the person building.

If you've got a busy life with other concerns and you're not sure how much time you can dedicate to the building then maybe you should look to buy a completed car or a kit that is turnkey.

i will say that building my car has been one of the funest and most satisfying things i have ever done. the sense of pride you'll feel when you drive a car where every nut, bolt and fastener was placed and torqued by you is irreplaceable. I highly recommend it!

the body is best left to the Pro's in my opinion. unless you've had experience prep'ing and painting fiberglass, i'd say you're better off having an exprienced shop do it for you. Budget that money right up front...expect 5K to 7K for good paint.

driving the car is fun! but building the car was it's own kind of fun and something i miss. I'm looking to build another one at some point.

For the record, i have a 50/hr/wk job and 4 kids with all their activities...so i think anyone can do it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
when you say 5k - 7k, is that just paint, or all the body work straight from the rough fibreglass you recieve?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
that's the whole thing...all body work and paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts