Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been following for a while, but mainly on the other forum.

Question is: anyone know of any vendors that might still be supplying new Gen 2 Coyote's?

The more I dig into this the less hope I have...

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I assume you know they've been out of production for almost 5 years now. You might get lucky and find one sitting on a shelf somewhere (sounds like you're looking) but I don't like your odds. Probably your best bet if you're really set on a Gen 2 is through salvage. But those aren't very new any longer either. If you're planning for the Ford Performance control pack, you should be looking for that too. M-6017-504V. It's specific to that engine. Looks like those are around.

I've built with both the Gen2 and Gen 3 Coyote. Other than a custom tune improves the Gen 2 but for Gen 3 it's mandatory, nothing not to like about the Gen 3. Have it in a Coupe and like it a lot. Runs great and is very strong. With only a couple exceptions, all the parts for the Gen 2 (alternator, starter, headers, bell housing, oil pan, flywheel, clutch) fit the Gen 3. Exceptions (off the top of my head...) the Gen 3 requires a different oil pan pickup and you have to add a flywheel. The one that comes with it isn't compatible for our builds. You also probably should use a 4-inch intake rather than the 3-1/2 that was common with the Gen 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some digging it looks like if I want any hope of doing a custom traction control/launch control setup I need a motor with strictly port injection, eliminating the gen 3. In an ideal world they have an update for the aem infinity stand alone ecu and I could dive into the world of VE and full control/tunability to boot... but this might be a case of "well you can't have everything".

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
After doing some digging it looks like if I want any hope of doing a custom traction control/launch control setup I need a motor with strictly port injection, eliminating the gen 3. In an ideal world they have an update for the aem infinity stand alone ecu and I could dive into the world of VE and full control/tunability to boot... but this might be a case of "well you can't have everything".

Thanks guys
Same thing happened when Ford went from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2. It took several years for the aftermarket companies to support the Gen 2 including specifically the IMRC that Ford added. For a long time many of them didn't even support the variable cams. I've talked to the guys at Ford Performance, the calibration (tunes) in the Gen 3 is very complex because of the dual fuel injection setup. You might be in for a long wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, when I spoke with the AEM infinity folks they said the gen 2 was on the radar. When I mentioned the gen 3 and direct injection I got a hard "Nope. Do not pass GO."

·
Registered
298 Posts
You might want to look at Haltech Elite 2500 or the Holley Dominator X Max as well.

Having said that, I'm running the Infinity on a Gen 2 which isn't officially supported. They transferred over all of the Gen 1 timing components which was effectively like putting the Gen 2 head castings on a Gen 1. If I remember correctly, the exhaust cam of the Gen 2 still has a lock at 0 while the intake is the one that is a mid lock (or other way around, been a while).

In it's failsafe mode it disables the solenoid to get the cams locked and doesn't release them until it hits it's stated target again. I was able to set the cam table to angle equivalent while locked at idle and it unlocked and went on its merry way. Keep in mind this was only running the engine outside the car so I've yet to do 'real world' testing.

I talked to AEM about what I found and how they could change their logic to work with both and they effectively told me they didn't have the resources to develop the Gen 2. That was a couple years back so maybe it's changed. My feeling is that if they don't start down the direct injection path of releases soon then they'll get passed up. The Coyote variants have kept stacking tech so they'd still need to figure out the cams for the Gen 3 as well.

End of my thoughts and input for AEM and the Gen 2 :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Q4 that's really insightful stuff, thanks! I maybe (maybe!) found a lead on a gen 2 so fingers crossed. If you were to do it over again would you do the infinity?

I haven't done a deep dive on how the tuning process works for these motors, but my understanding is that the ecu should have all the inputs and outputs to manipulate a gen 2, but no 'base tune' right out of the box?

I agree with aem having to keep up with the tech, but thought it required a pretty fundamental change to their hardware.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Hi all, been following for a while, but mainly on the other forum.

Question is: anyone know of any vendors that might still be supplying new Gen 2 Coyote's?

The more I dig into this the less hope I have...

Thanks all!
It's not from a dealer but there is a guy (Doug Austin) on the Factory Five Builder group on FB that listed a new Gen 2 with Boss 302 intake and a bunch of other new stuff to go with it for $10k last week. It is a pretty sweet looking motor with the Boss coil covers and intake. It also already has the oil pan for the roadster. Here is the post: Log into Facebook

I think he said he is changing direction and building a different car altogether so he doesn't need the Gen 2 any longer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am pretty sure Power by The Hour still sells them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Q4 that's really insightful stuff, thanks! I maybe (maybe!) found a lead on a gen 2 so fingers crossed. If you were to do it over again would you do the infinity?

I haven't done a deep dive on how the tuning process works for these motors, but my understanding is that the ecu should have all the inputs and outputs to manipulate a gen 2, but no 'base tune' right out of the box?

I agree with aem having to keep up with the tech, but thought it required a pretty fundamental change to their hardware.
Short answer, maybe. I like the tuning interface and the fact that they have a general setup for the Gen 1. I also like that I can make changes myself easily with my laptop, that there's data logging and graphing available, I can add twin turbos, traction control, etc.
Tech support is fairly good but after having issues getting a phaser to read and unlock and finally hunting it down to a mis-pinned harness plug on their harness I just got a response of effectively 'oh, we knew about that. Here's a tech sheet on it we released' (even though they sold me the harness well after the release and should have fixed it before it left their factory). Otherwise tech has been good.

The baseline tune they provide will get the engine running and run through the rev range but it's hardly optimized. They state that themselves. You could definitely get up to and through your go-cart phase before having it really tuned though as long as you edit the idle area of the VE table early on (pretty easy to do)

One thing I just thought of. I'm running the Gen 1 engine harness on the Gen 2 engine. It has all the same attach points except a capacitor which swaps to the opposite head. This let me run their pre-made wiring harness for power, etc. The CMCVs need to be locked out unless you use a custom output to trigger them. For now I'm running them locked.

If I had the money and time (both of which I don't currently), I'd like to try out a Motec setup. While more capable it's also more expensive and requires a lot to get going. For now the Infinity will suit my purposes just fine.

Hope that helps a bit

1 - 15 of 15 Posts