Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shortblock arrived 4 days early and i picked it up this afternoon. I have to say that DSS does a very nice job putting these together. I bought the Bullet 331. I had no idea this was going to happen 2 weeks ago, but due to a miscalculation or misunderstanding in valve size vs clearance on stock pistons, the 302 will be coming out and this will be going in its place. I'll be paying off the credit card for a while
Lesson learned, but i think i will be happy for many a year to come with this motor.

Double fly cut pistons

New Camshaft- 232/240 duration .565/.570
Believe it or not the floor is actually clean-it's just been splatter painted over the last two years.

No clearance issues here

[ July 16, 2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: cobrastang ]

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts

Enough said!!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Get rid of the 90-degree elbows on the fuel rails. The straighter you can make the fuel flow (less restrictions) the better. Fluid doesn't like to make 90-degree turns...

BTW, TRIPLE check your Edelbrock Pro-Flo wiring harness. I just helped a friend install one in his '68 Mustang and there were errors in the wiring pinouts to the ignition amplifier and we also had to have them send another distributor.

HTH...
Mark

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
That is a killer looking engine! AWESOME!!

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The system is actually Mass Flo. I just changed out the manifold to the newer edelbrock with the cast in fuel injector bungs from the old spyder intake. Its sits about 1-1/2" higher. I didnt have any problem with the right angle fittings before, but i understand what you are saying. However, i dont want to rerun my braided fuel lines, so i am going to keep the set up the way it is for now.

·
Old Car Enthusiast
147 Posts
Time to update your sig line to indicate DSS 331 BACK OFF!!!!

·
2,746 Posts
That is a beautiful engine, I'm very jealous. DSS is on the other side of town from my office, good to see they are turning out such nice stuff.

Chris.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,235 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thou shalt not covet... unless the object in question is a really sweet DSS 331, then it's O.K.

Awesome engine! I am planning on the same block and heads when I do my build. I'm not sure yet about what intake I like best, but I still have some time to make that decision. Gonna be a nice ride when you're done.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI, DSS had the cheapest stroker short blocks out of all the companies i called. However, some companies would not use a cast crank like this one has. I'm not going to run a supercharger or nitrous, so that wasnt a big deal to me. Howeverh the bullet block does come with DSS brand forged pistons and rods.

BTW, the valve covers get to stay. I just found a shorter set of poly locks from a previous engine build and the covers now clear. I'm so happy i saved them-i did not want to spend anymore money right now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cobrastang, that might be too much lift for the AFR springs. Double check with AFR. That is a nice engine, I would just hate to see you have any problems. i don't know what crank DSS uses, but i have used those rods, pretty nice pieces!
with those heads and cam you should be in the 450hp range! COOL!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Cobrastang - I have the Comp Cams XE274HR cam (224,232 and 0.555, 0.565) and AFR 185s and we had to use different springs - no big deal. Also, I went with the Edelbrock Elite rocker covers and I think they look great! Here's a pic.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Mark! I had them change out the springs at AMP performance for a few extra $$$. THat was one of the main reasons that i didnt want to attempt to sell the heads and buy different ones.
Also, i actually got the cobra valve covers to fit with shorter poly locks, so no problems there. However, i might have to go with shorter(length wise) air cleaner like yours since my intake sits to high now. We will find out soon.
Chris

·
Charter Member
889 Posts
I have a Bullet 306 shortblock witht he cast crank from DSS in my 67 Mustang Fastback. Love it - no problems in 25K miles including 12.84s 107 mph quarter mile shots and lots of autocross (have broken axles and driveshaft but engine is fine. Make sure you check for clearance between the rockers and the baffles (under the breather openings) in the Cobra valve covers. I had to cut the baffles out on my '67 Mustang restomod and then it took me a while to figure out why I was blowing burnt oil out the tailpipe - with the high volume oil pump and the baffles removed, the pushrod/rocker oiling was shooting a stream of oil straight into the PCV valve for subsequent inhalation by the engine. Removed the PCV, plugged the carb, and vented covers to a breather catch can....

Geezer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.