Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I know in the past i have posted on this topic but im getting serious about it now. I have our cobra for a fun car. Im nearly 18 years old and i was given a saturn for my birthday and i have lived with it until now. i want something of my own. I am a huge mustang fan but i figured if i get a mustang, itd be like the cobra. front engine, rear wheel drive. a fun car...not that its a bad thing but i want something a little different. so i was leaning towards a Turbo Eclipse or Talon, Ive also found some Twin Turbo 300ZX's for sale too. I have under 10 Grand to spend ona new car and was curious of your suggestions. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If you want something different, get the twin turbo 300zx or find a supra. Stay away from the talon or eclipse- just my opinion!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Like I tell my 20yr old son....dirve what you can affored to put gas in and insure.... and keep it safe on the on the road.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
At your age, be careful of insurance rates. You might want to put together a wish list of cars you'd like...then call the insurance agent to see how much those will cost.

When I was 19, I was all set to buy a sports car...then found out the insurance was 3k a year (and I had no tickets or accidents). The car only cost 17k...so that seemed messed up, so I wound up buying something completely different.

·
Senior Charter Member
584 Posts
Cobrakid,
Hmmmmmmmmm.......Naperville, IL
I might lean towards something with all or 4 wheel drive. I went to NIU and have lived through the winters up there.
Audi made some pretty cool cars in the past like the quattro coupes and such. You can also get some Subaru products.
The other guys are correct. Make sure you can afford the insurance, maintenance and gas.
When you settle on what you want let me know and I will keep my eyes open for a rust and salt free southern car.
Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I'll be the stick in the mud. Keep the Saturn and use whatever money you have saved towards college. When you have finished college and make 4X what you would have without a degree, you can buy whatever you want.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Kid,
Ultimately, I agree with what Jack just said. Stick with the Saturn and save the money. If you spend it now, you may well regret it when you finish school and are then stuck with an aging car you thought was cool 3 or 4 years ago, and now needs work, has lots of miles, and you want a new car. If the Saturn is usable, keep using it.

As you've said, you've asked this same question a few times before and got lots of good responses. Those cars you mentioned above are fun, but most often they're pretty whooped, and repair costs get quite expensive. If you HAVE to buy another car, consider something that's not going to make you go bankrupt repairing, upgrading, insuring, putting gas in. One suggestion, though it's not pratcial as far as space goes, is the '91-'95 MR2. Reliable, frugal, and if you can find one in good shape, cheap to keep running. Fun too. But that's a personal bias for me. There are lots of decent, fun transportation out there.

Steve

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
My first car was an '87 Mustang GT, I absolutely loved it, but the insurance was $190 a month plus I used a lot of gas. That was in 1990 in Houston, so I'm sure the rates would be different for you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe you could let us know your insurance carrier before you make purchase, we could pick up of few shares of Allstate or State Farm as an investment!! Just kidding (kind of) as much as it hurts to wait you will be way ahead of the game if you can hold off on owning and insuring a performance car until your older. 25 used to be the magic number when the rates would come down, not sure if that's still the case.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Maybe you could let us know your insurance carrier before you make purchase, we could pick up of few shares of Allstate or State Farm as an investment!! Just kidding (kind of) as much as it hurts to wait you will be way ahead of the game if you can hold off on owning and insuring a performance car until your older. 25 used to be the magic number when the rates would come down, not sure if that's still the case.

·
5,206 Posts
I'm another voice siding with Jack and Steve. keep the current ride. Graduate from college then you can afford to get what you want.

Mike

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I can understand why you want something better than a Saturn but try not to get caught in the trap of making the toys a priority at your age. Focus on education / business / investing ....ultimately how to bring in the money to allow you to purchase the finer things in life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I must agree with SR-71. You can spend the next few years buying toys and playing with them, and paying them off for the next few x 2 years, while forgetting any education etc.(Which will lock you into a job you hate) OR you can spend the next few years driving a Saturn, learning, growing and building a solid foundation so that you can spend the next 60 years enjoying your toys after retiring at 40 or so. Amazing benefits come from education and compound interest! Wish I knew that then!

·
15,282 Posts
As I'm still reasonably young (28 for just a few more days...), I'll chime in too and say "wait." I drove a used Chevy starting when I was 15. With some help from Dad while in college, I got a new reliable Chevy when I was 19. I worked my tail off on education, and worked jobs while in college too. I wasn't in a flashy ride (or even a really fun one) for what felt like forever.

But when I was 23 and had graduated, I bought a new BMW, paid cash. When I was 24, I bought a Porsche 911 for fun and track days. And shortly after turning 29, I'm gonna have my Cobra in the garage.
Hard work and saving is definitely the route. I did it for 6+ years after college, and now I have the luxury of taking time off from career to go back to law school -- investment in self. The guys are giving you good advice. Have fun and live your life, but do it with an eye toward the future -- if you work hard and do things right, I found that the fun stuff isn't always that far away.

Good luck --
Cheers, John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts